6600,6630,p990i game developing- HELP me, I'm a total NOOB

Started by
14 comments, last by frob 15 years, 5 months ago
Help. I have an experience making game using c++,directX9,opengl,Flash. This time, I want to make games for my phone as well as for my friends. my phone is p990i and my friends have 6600 and 6630. so what will be my choice? java(.jar) developing or symbian(.sis). which is better? which is more..uhmmm...you know.. more popular or should I say "will be using and will give very good games in the near future." I think you know what I mean.. hehe Thanks for any help.
Advertisement
Your experience is with C++, not java. That should make your choice obvious.
Quote:Original post by frob
Your experience is with C++, not java. That should make your choice obvious.

I wouldn't completly agree. While I myslef am doing development on Symbian C++ it's only because applications I'm working on are extremely CPU-hungry(AR), so java is out.
Symbian C++ framework have notoriously high learning curve, documentation is often lacking, UI framework classes and APIs are huge and not well documented.
However while threshold is quite high as soon as you managed to build your framework and go to "meat" of the game - graphics/gameplay, it's pretty much normal C++ and OpenGL ES. Of cause if you target phones without floating point (VFP) you have to do all the math in fixed point, but as I understand you have to use fixed for java either.
So I'd say for small, short-term project go with java. For huge, long, performance-critical projects go with Symbian C++.

Thanks to you both.

serg3d, I think I want to make mobile games using java. but i dont have knowledge on java. i mean, im noob at it though i can program in java but not that good. still can I make a game with my own?? if i study, can a person make a mobile game only by itself?? unlike C++, dx9, you must have and artist,sound engineer,level editor,programmer,etc.
huhuhuhuhu.. I think java games are so slow.. Am I right? while .sis(symbian) games are faster. So do you recommend me making games for symbian?? please help me make this decision. because ill waste my time if I pick the wrong decision. huhu..
I have downloaded then Symbian 2nd edition SDK. what now?? I have Visual Studio 2005.

How to start??? any help??? please... thanks....

PLEASEEEEE HELPPP me...
rtfm
rtfm???

please helpppp
Quote:Original post by macmoy
rtfm???

please helpppp

You said that you have experience making games with C++ using DirectX and OpenGL and Flash. If that is true, then the SDK should be enough for you.

There is documentation at Nokia's web site on how to get started. They also have example programs which should help you. They have their own forums to help you get started.

yes thats true. but im not very professional. and also im still a student, 18yrsold.
In your own opinion, which is better??
is java games good/fast?? or no chance to make it fast?
how about symbian? isn't more difficult than making java games?
I read something that it needs lots of softwares(perl,compiler like WINXXX) I dont remember.then the sdk..

huuuuu

I dont know how to start..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement