6600,6630,p990i game developing- HELP me, I'm a total NOOB

Started by
14 comments, last by frob 15 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by macmoy
In your own opinion, which is better??
is java games good/fast?? or no chance to make it fast?
how about symbian? isn't more difficult than making java games?
I read something that it needs lots of softwares(perl,compiler like WINXXX) I dont remember.then the sdk..

They both have advantages and disadvantages. Neither one is "better".

Both languages offer similar performance if used properly. The cell phones themselves are slow, so the difficulty is that the programmers must write their code carefully.

Well-written C++ requires more knowledge of the system than Java, so C++ programmers tend to pay more attention to those details. Java code is somewhat easier to code in, so you can generate more code in the same amount of time -- but at a cost that you are less aware of the machine details and are also abstracted within the virtual machine.

I don't know about needing many pieces of software. Certainly Perl is a nice language for scripting. Skilled programmers will have many tools to automate boring and repetitive tasks, and Perl, Python, and other languages help there.

Quote:I dont know how to start..

Since you really do not have experience making games in c++, DX, OpenGL, and Flash (as you claimed in your first post) then I suggest you start there.

Since your goal is to write games for cell phones, I suggest you pick either C++ or Java and learn to write games on the PC. Java has an easier learning curve, so I'd probably pick that one.

Either way, you'll need to do a lot of reading and a lot of learning.

Begin by making simple text-based answer/response programs. Evolve those to a game. Move on to manipulating files to store your simple text-based games. Once you're comfortable working with data, learn some 2D graphics, learn to manipulate the graphics through code. Next, learn to load your data and manipulate your graphics with data. When you finally reach that point, you'll be ready to make cell phone games.
Advertisement
I think frob is being overly helpful here because it seems clear to me you want someone to hold your hand through what is actually a very simple process for anyone with even a minimum amount of ability.
It's one thing to help noobs get started its quite another to help noobs who seem incapable or willing to do even the most basic research.

rtfm means Read the Fu%&#ng Manual...please take a moment to do that before throwing your hands up in despair and asking for help you are currently unable to understand.

Even if you have no ability, Google will take you to 100's of how to write your 1st project on a phone. You have no real reasons to keep asking for help here when there is a wealth of resources available.

Given you want to write on phones, java is "probably" the best solution for you, its not too hard, and again there are many many step by step instructions on how to do this on the web. The Sun Wireless toolkit (on which all phone SDK's are based) is available online for free, and has a tutorial mode and the sun docs are full of examples.

Finally I suggest you walk before you can run...you have to learn to program before you can start to write games for any platform. You need to make that your main priority. Part of learning to program is understanding how to set up a system for development.
If you want your friends to be able to play your games then you don't really have much of choice. The answer is Java.
No Java is not too slow the majority of mobile games are written in Java and it is quite adequate.
Also several embedded processors, especially for phones have a hardware java bytecode interpreter. I don't know about that, but it is a common feature for arm chips.
Thanks for all your responses. :D
I thought I was clear enough,hehe,sorry.
I can make games in C++,dx9,flash.
in C++, i can make 2d and 3d games.
I made 3d tetris,dropout-like game,also used A* algorithm for pathfinding,
first-person simulation game(more like GrandTheftAuto)

My problem is, mobile gaming for what I see is totally different from what I am doing right now.

I managed to show a string in .jar(j2me). But I saw an example of a simple game.wow! its too slow.veryvery slow. Its not only on the phone but also in the emulator. maybe the authors code are not that good or what? that's why I am asking if it's really slow or average or it can be as fast as .sis.
I played a lot of SIS games. their fast. you know EXPLODE ARENA? I like it so much. It can also handle multiplayer.

I hope I made all things clear now,,hehehe

So, You recommend me to use Java right? I saw many tutorials in the net. The only thing that stops me to start is that I dont know If its real slow.huhuhuhu Can Anyone explain to me why there are lots of java games that are slow although there are some that are fast. and why is that almost all SIS games are fast?

Thanks to all. :D
Quote:Original post by macmoy
But I saw an example of a simple game.wow! its too slow.veryvery slow. Its not only on the phone but also in the emulator. maybe the authors code are not that good or what? that's why I am asking if it's really slow or average or it can be as fast as .sis.

I suppose you didn't understand this comment:

Quote:The cell phones themselves are slow, so the difficulty is that the programmers must write their code carefully.

There is a huge difference between a 2GHz quad-core PC (or whatever you have) and a 100 MHz RISC cell phone.

Things you take for granted on the PC -- like simple integer division -- simply do not exist on the processor.

It is roughly the same as a 486/SX, a fifteen year old processor.

More complex things are generally obviously missing: The phone doesn't support floating point processing, but also nice features like multiple instruction decoding, and instruction pipelines.

If you are old enough, think back to the days when true 3D games were very rare, usually just wireframes or slowly rendered like Links, and the original DOOM game was considered a miracle and its developers were gods. That is the processing power you have available.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement