Sign in to follow this  

RPG Algebraic Stat Growth?

This topic is 3311 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there. Right now I'm in the design stage of an RPG, and I created an Excel doc with all of my characters' stats. I want to be able to show their stat growth as an algebraic graph. Now, the easiest way to do this would be to assign an initial value (at level 1) and a max value (At level 99/100) and make this formula:
stat = (stat at max level / number of levels * current level) + initial value

example:
  Strength@Level 10 = (250/100 * 10) + 8 = 33
which would raise the stat by a constant at every level up, and on a graph it would be displayed as a straight line. That would work, but I guess I have to complicate everything! If I wanted stat growth to be parabolic, I could use the classic quadratic equation (ax^2 + bx + c), but it would require too much trial and error to get the stat values the way I want them to be. I did create a formula that would have stat growth be circular (well, just a arc), but I guess I misplaced it. What if I wanted stat growth to be oscillating? How could I manipulate the formulas as to get a definite initial stat and perhaps a max stat? Any math whizzes out there have any ideas?

What you have there is a linear interpolation from the current experience level to the corresponding strength / stamina / magic / etc. level.

From experience playing some RPGs I think the gaps between levels progressively increase. Level 1 requires 100 experience points, level 2 requires 500, level 3: 2000, 4:5000, 5:20,000 - etc. Of course, this is offset by progressively harder opponents yielding more experience points.

This topic is 3311 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.