A list of licenses?

Started by
4 comments, last by Trapper Zoid 15 years, 5 months ago
Hello everyone. Is there a list of licenses anywhere that would direct me to which license says, "what is free", "what you have to pay for", or "this is not yours" kind of thing? I am about to release a game engine I have been working on for a long time now. I want a license that says, "Hey. This isn't yours, but you can use this to make commercial and non-commercial products as longs you at *least* give credit or something." I thought the MIT license might cover this, but I honestly know nothing about licenses. I took the MIT license, put in the proper fields for the statement, and then stuck that in every page of source code. :/ So as you can see, I am not sure how to go about the licenses properly. It would be great if someone can help out or point me in the correct direction. Thanks!
Holy crap, you can read!
Advertisement
Wikipedia has a page on software licences. Or if you're going open source, there's the Open Source Initiative's list of licenses.

Edit: Your description sounds a bit like the original BSD license, possibly a bit modified for your own definition of how you want to be given credit. That might be what you want, but it has the downside that if many other people add to your engine then the list of credits might get unwieldy. Plus it would be incompatible with the GPL if that's an issue to you.
I truly and simply just don't want people taking it and claiming "it is all mine". I don't care what they do with it. As long as they enjoy it. :]

I didn't think about checking WikiPedia. I honestly forget it sometimes exists. ;p

Thank you for the page. It is exactly what I needed!
Holy crap, you can read!
The zlib license is my favorite for this sort of purpose.

Copyright (C) <whenever> <whoever>  This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied  warranty.  In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages  arising from the use of this software.  Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose,  including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it  freely, subject to the following restrictions:  1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not     claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software     in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be     appreciated but is not required.  2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be     misrepresented as being the original software.  3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution.
That's perfect! Now to copy and paste. :p
I do have one last question, however. If you do not own a true company, can you simple insert your name after the copyright?
I'm new in this area as you may tell.
Holy crap, you can read!
Quote:Original post by PCN
I do have one last question, however. If you do not own a true company, can you simple insert your name after the copyright?
I'm new in this area as you may tell.

Using your name is fine. Just make sure to include the word "Copyright", your name and the year of creation in the copyright statement and you'll be right.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement