Sign in to follow this  
tibberous

I haven't made an app in a long time -- what compilers are people using now?

I want to make a C++ program, but I haven't done C++ in several years. I used to use Bloodshed, but it appears to be dead (abandoned not gone) C++ Builder was great, but it had the big dll's to include, and with it getting bought from Borland I'm not sure how stable / polished / up-to-date it would be. MS stopped making VC++ for .net right? I don't want to rely on the .net runtime. It seems like whenever I get sample code online, it relies on the MFC -- should I just use an old version of VC++? The last program I made I did in MSVC++, but only because that is how the project was already setup: http://www.trenttompkins.com/Downloads/TweakPNG-Command-Line.html Please help me a pick a compiler - I'm afraid I pick a weird one that I won't be able to get any code to work on.

Quite a few people use the various VS 2k8 Express that you can download free off the microsoft website: http://www.microsoft.com/express/

There is a C++ one specifically, which is not difficult to find. You should probably explore the site a little bit though, if only to see the different things that are available.

Quote:
Original post by tibberous
Please help me a pick a compiler - I'm afraid I pick a weird one that I won't be able to get any code to work on.

It sounds like you want an IDE too. Microsoft Visual C++ Express would be a good place to start. It's free but very good (well the compiler is, I don't use the IDE).

Another reasonably good Windows compiler can be found in the MinGW port of GCC. It doesn't come with an IDE. I hear it has pretty good integration with CodeBlocks.

Other compilers that are free include Digital Mars (ok for basic stuff, but it tends to barf when things get template-y), Borland bcc32 5.5.1 or 5.82 (ditto, though 5.82 comes with an IDE). But I'd go with the MS or MinGW compilers.

Thanks! I downloaded the Express edition of VC++ -- it look promising. I'm going to try to do it without MFC for now.

I haven't got to use it yet since I need to restart and am in the middle of huge downloads.