Sign in to follow this  
anachronist

Careers in Art Questionnaire

Hi, I'm a student at Valdosta State University finishing up my undergrad (bfa, art). I've got an assignment for my Professoinal Preporation class that requires me to research a career of choice, and since i am planning on persuing game design, I thought I would come here. Any help is greatly appreciated! Here are the questions I'm suppose to answer, short answers are prefered. -------------- 1. What is the job/career? 2. Explain/define the career/job: 3. List any related fields that would be similar work if this chosen career is difficult to find employment 4. What type of education is required prefered? 5. If it is beyond VSU program, what schools are offering graduate/extended learning in this field? 6. What does it take academically/portfolio wise to get into these programs? 7. Are there scholarships available? List one that you found 8. What is the job market like? 9. How competitive is the field? 10. Where are the best locations to live and work? 11. What is the expected starting pay? 12. Is this a secure career path? i.e., will there be continual demand into the next decade or so? 13. Why are you personally attracted to this type of work. -------------------- Again, thanks a lot!

Quote:
Original post by anachronist
Careers in Art Questionnaire...
finishing up my undergrad (bfa, art).
...i am planning on persuing game design

So you are planning on using your art talents to get a job in games, and eventually move laterally from being a game artist to being a game designer? Is that right?
Just want to be sure the answers you get are actually appropriate to what you're really trying to find out. Are you asking about the career of game artist, or are you asking about the career of game design? Which is it?

I know there are a ton of positions available in the games industry, but I'm really just looking for more general answers. I would really love to work in level design or charactor modeling. (i want to actually work wih 3d software)

Before school took up all of my time, I used to dabble in level design (team fortress and counter-strike mostly), and would really like to get back into it, and even doing it as a career. i've taken a few classes in animation and have found i'm more into modeling; I don't care so much for animation and rigging and such although i don't mind doing it either.