[D3D10] Multiple vertex streams

Started by
8 comments, last by resle 15 years, 4 months ago
Looks like I am posting like mad.. but you have to admit that the MSDN documentation is often extremely clear on complex matters, and deviously shady on the simplest things! So, I am trying to set up two distinct vertex buffers for tweening. I suspect there are many places of the code where I should operate. Here's some code..

// LAYOUT SETTING. I WRAPPED LAYOUT STUFF INTO A CLASS
    layout.AddElement('POSITION', 0, DXGI_FORMAT_R32G32B32_FLOAT, 0, 0,  D3D10_INPUT_PER_VERTEX_DATA, 0);
    layout.AddElement('TEXCOORD', 0, DXGI_FORMAT_R32G32_FLOAT,    0, 12, D3D10_INPUT_PER_VERTEX_DATA, 0);
    layout.AddElement('NORMAL',   0, DXGI_FORMAT_R32G32B32_FLOAT, 0, 20, D3D10_INPUT_PER_VERTEX_DATA, 0);

// DRAWING

device.IASetPrimitiveTopology(D3D10_PRIMITIVE_TOPOLOGY_TRIANGLELIST);
       device.IASetVertexBuffers(0, 1, @framea.vertex, @stride, @offset);
       device.IASetIndexBuffer(framea.faces, DXGI_FORMAT_R16_UINT, 0);
       device.DrawIndexed(framea.nfaces*3, 0, 0);

// VERTEX SHADER BITS

struct VS_INPUT
{
    float4 Pos : POSITION;
    float2 Tex : TEXCOORD;
    float4 Nrm : NORMAL;
};

struct VS_OUTPUT
{
    float4 Pos : SV_POSITION;
    float2 Tex : TEXCOORD;
    float4 Nrm : NORMAL;
};

VS_OUTPUT BasicVertexRender( VS_INPUT input0 )
{
    VS_OUTPUT output = (VS_OUTPUT)0;

output.Pos = input0.Pos;

output.Pos = mul( output.Pos,  World );
    output.Pos = mul( output.Pos,  View );
    output.Pos = mul( output.Pos,  Projection );
    output.Tex = input0.Tex;
    output.Nrm = input0.Nrm;

return output;
}

I've tried to modify pretty much everything in every possible way but I am clearly failing to understand the proper way to do it, so I either get no output at all, or no interpolation (In the code I posted I voluntarily omitted the LERP line since I am copy-pasting from the single vertex buffer version)
..so we ate rare animals, we spent the night eating rare animals..
Advertisement
DXGI_FORMAT_R32G32B32_FLOAT = float3
DXGI_FORMAT_R32G32B32A32_FLOAT = float4

Your vtex layout size = 3 + 2 + 3
vshader input size = 4 + 2 + 4
in floats.

I am not exactly sure thou. If I am right, the debugger should scream that your input layout and your vtex shader input sig. does not match.
Every time you implement a singleton, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens!
By the way, the provided code has only one vertex stream so the title is misleading.
Every time you implement a singleton, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens!
The code is for 1 vertex because I don't know how to port it to two vertex streams ... that's why I posted in first place :(

By the way: it's the code I use now, and it works flawlessly. For some reason the HLSL guide itself tells you to remap float3 values to float4. And it works.
If you want 2 streams you can write it like this:

layout.AddElement('POSITION', 0, DXGI_FORMAT_R32G32B32_FLOAT, 0, 0,  D3D10_INPUT_PER_VERTEX_DATA, 0);layout.AddElement('TEXCOORD', 0, DXGI_FORMAT_R32G32_FLOAT,    1, 0, D3D10_INPUT_PER_VERTEX_DATA, 0);layout.AddElement('NORMAL',   0, DXGI_FORMAT_R32G32B32_FLOAT, 1, 8, D3D10_INPUT_PER_VERTEX_DATA, 0);

POSITION has offset of 0 in stream 0
TEXCOORD has offset of 0 in stream 1
NORMAL has offset of 8 in stream 1

then you would need 2 streams:

S0: P1, P2, P3,...
S1: T1, N1, T2, N2,...

And of course pass both of them at IASetVertexBuffers with the proper strides and offsets.
Sorry, my english is probably failing me on explaining this thing...
I am perfectly fine with all the vertex data in just one buffer (Pos, Tex, Nrm). The point is that I need ANOTHER buffer to hold, let's say, (Pos2, Tex2, Nrm2).

The shader interpolates between the two.

What I can't obtain is setting up the 2nd buffer..

layout.AddElement('POSITION0', 0, DXGI_FORMAT_R32G32B32_FLOAT, 0, 0,  D3D10_INPUT_PER_VERTEX_DATA, 0);layout.AddElement('TEXCOORD0', 0, DXGI_FORMAT_R32G32_FLOAT,    0, 8, D3D10_INPUT_PER_VERTEX_DATA, 0);layout.AddElement('NORMAL0',   0, DXGI_FORMAT_R32G32B32_FLOAT, 0, 16, D3D10_INPUT_PER_VERTEX_DATA, 0);layout.AddElement('POSITION1', 1, DXGI_FORMAT_R32G32B32_FLOAT, 0, 0,  D3D10_INPUT_PER_VERTEX_DATA, 0);layout.AddElement('TEXCOORD1', 1, DXGI_FORMAT_R32G32_FLOAT,    0, 8, D3D10_INPUT_PER_VERTEX_DATA, 0);layout.AddElement('NORMAL1',   1, DXGI_FORMAT_R32G32B32_FLOAT, 0, 16, D3D10_INPUT_PER_VERTEX_DATA, 0);

Shader Input
struct VS_INPUT{    float4 Pos1 : POSITION0;    float2 Tex1 : TEXCOORD0;    float4 Nrm1 : NORMAL0;    float4 Pos2 : POSITION1;    float2 Tex2 : TEXCOORD1;    float4 Nrm2 : NORMAL1;};

Then do whatever interpolation you want in the shader code.
Thanks a lot. Not only you solved my problem but I finally understood the way layout elements map to shader input in general!

a.
@ Axiverse: Shouldn't parameter 4 of the last 3 rows be 1 instead of 0?
Something is still amiss..
I applied what Axiverse suggested both at vertex declaration level and shader level. (btw, why 0,8,16 in the AddElement call? Shouldn't it be 0, 12, 20? Three floats for vertex pos, 2 floats for mapping coord, so 12 + 8 ..

Anyway, the part I didn't take into account was the following:

device.IASetPrimitiveTopology(D3D10_PRIMITIVE_TOPOLOGY_TRIANGLELIST);data[0]:=framea^.vert;  strides[0]:=SizeOf(tvertex);   offsets[0]:=0;data[1]:=frameb^.vert;  strides[1]:=SizeOf(tvertex);   offsets[1]:=0;device.IASetVertexBuffers(0, 2, @data, @strides, @offsets);device.DrawIndexed(surface^.nfaces*3, 0, 0);

is there something wrong here? Because once again, I can't get anything onscreen :\

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement