Sign in to follow this  
Setrio

RPG programming

You could also have a look on the net for RPG development sites. These could be general sites (for instance RPGDX) where you can find general articles and possibly a forum for RPG specific questions or sites for a specific game where you might be able to join a team and contribute to a team project (learning along the way).

Just as an extra note, if you were ever interested in looking into XNA i noticed it had an RPG starter kit in one of the tutorials, looking over the code may give you some ideas. But i would imagine its a very basic set up so it depends on how complex you want it.

A friend of mine once wrote an RPG which was simply a tile map world and combat was initiated at random points in "danger zones" like when your walking through grass in Pokemon and suddenly your in a battle. At this point it was switched to a "combat" game state where fighting logic took place and all data for all objects/enemies/player was stored in a database. It all worked very nicely and it was very simple to implement and yet with a bit of work could of easily simulated a Pokemon/zelda-esc game.

Quote:
Original post by Setrio
Hi all.
I want to read something about programming RPG games. Mainly on the combat system and how it could be implemented in a game.
Anyone could have some links availables or some RPG engine to read about?

The combat system I'm using in my RPG is d20. Implementing it was pretty straightforward (you only have to implement those parts of it which you need in your game.)

As for other resources, I can recommend Jim Adam's book. I've also found the articles in Roguebasin very helpful. As for RPG design, the Swords and Circuitry book seems very interesting, although I haven't read that one yet.