Sign in to follow this  
maorc

[SlimDX] SlimDX package

maorc    122
Hi, Our application, Visions (http://www.twins-solutions.com) is using SlimDX and is currently running DirectX (using websetup) and VC++ 2008 SP1 packages during the installation. We updated our SlimDX to November 2008 and we would like to use the SlimDX redistribute package in our installer instead. Is it safe to remove the DX and VC++ installations and use the SlimDX redistribute alone? I read the documentation but wasn't sure whether we can use the redistribute package alone or not. Thanks, Maor Cohen Twins Solutions www.twins-solutions.com

bubu LV    1436
Yes, SlimDX redistributable includes latest DX redistributable (november 2008). Note that this redist is stripped down to only components SlimDX uses, it does not include previous DX updates. So if you don't use any other DX functionality, just SlimDX, then you are safe to not include full DX redist.
Also SlimDX does not need and it does not include VC++ 2008 SP1 redist. This is written in SlimDX documentation in Deployment guide page.

maorc    122
Thanks for the quick reply.

That's exactly what I needed to know. We don't use any other functionality other than what SlimDX uses, so I guess the redist is enough.

Maor

Promit    13246
I actually use the IE testing images with Virtual PC to verify that the SlimDX installation package functions correctly. You might find it useful to use those images to test Visions as well. They are essentially baseline installs that have service packs and nothing else. The XP one doesn't have .NET 2.0, so you can install various versions to check that things work properly. It's been very enlightening for me to see how the different configurations differ and what a truly fresh installation looks like as far as installed libraries.

maorc    122
Thanks Promit,

I actually tried once to use virtual machines for testing, but somehow I remembered it didn't support 3D and I gave it up.
Does Virtual PC supports 3D hardware emulation?

I'm downloading the images right now. I hope you're right as this would be great for all the testings we do.

Maor

Promit    13246
Unfortunately they don't support 3D acceleration, as far as I know. Hopefully the new DirectX software rasterizer (called WARP) will allow us to get around this issue, but in the meantime you might be able to get away with creating a REF device and copying the debug version of the D3D9 DLL alongside your app. Needless to say, but this is a huge hack.

Alternately, remember that all you really need to test is that the DLLs all load correctly in the first place. As long as you cause SlimDX and its DirectX dependencies to be initialized, that's sufficient and there's no need to actually create a D3D device. You could probably just inject an Environment.Exit call into your code for testing purposes before device creation actually happens. (I'd recommend some logging functionality if you do this.)

[EDIT] The more I think about it, the more I decide that trying to use REF is a really bad idea. I strongly suggest not doing that.

maorc    122
That's OK, I don't really understand what is a REF device, so I guess I'm safe? :)

Anyways,I may use it to test the loading of the DLLs, especially SlimDX, after we changed our installer to use the redist package.