• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RazZziel

OpenGL glDrawPixels with a xbm image

This topic is 3680 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm having some problems trying to draw a bitmap to screen. This is probably really stupid, but I'm really new to OpenGL and I wasn't even able to google for an appropiate answer to my problems. I'm trying to draw a xbm image containing a simple font to screen. I just want the simplest and smaller way of using a pixelated font. I made a simplified version of the image just to test the drawing functions:
#define pong_font_width 4
#define pong_font_height 4
static unsigned char pong_font_bits[] = {
0x09, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01 };
That should draw to something like
X__X
____
____
X___
Where "X" is black and "_" is white. The closer I got to properly rendering the image was with glBitmap, but the result is inverted vertically, and glPixelZoom doesn't make any effect in making the image bigger or inverting it.
glRasterPos2f((MI_WIDTH(mi)-pong_font_width*8)/2, MI_HEIGHT(mi)*8/10);
glBitmap( pong_font_width, pong_font_height,
          0, 0, 0, 0,
          pong_font_bits );
The proper method if I want to be in control of the zoom factor is probably glDrawPixels, but I can't find the combination of parameters to properly render it. This code renders nothing, and the closer I got to something useful was drawing some multicolor random garbage (I don't remember with wich parameters).
glPixelStorei(GL_UNPACK_LSB_FIRST, 1);
glPixelStorei(GL_UNPACK_ALIGNMENT, 1);
glEnable(GL_COLOR_TABLE);

static unsigned char colors[] = { 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 };
glColorTable(GL_COLOR_TABLE, GL_RGB8, 1, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, colors);

glRasterPos2f( (MI_WIDTH(mi)-pong_font_width*8)/2, MI_HEIGHT(mi)*8/10 );
glPixelZoom( 8.0, 8.0 );
glDrawPixels( pong_font_width,
              pong_font_height,
              GL_COLOR_INDEX,
              GL_BITMAP,
              pong_font_bits2 );
Could anybody help me out? I'm pretty sure I'm not understanding some basic concept about OpenGL rendering here.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!