help a n00b in need

Started by
6 comments, last by 2DExtremeOwner 15 years, 4 months ago
Hi. I'm new. Just joined 5 mins. ago lol. There are SO many engines I've been looking through. Though I've only been on Wikipedia. Haven't tried Game Dev's engine list yet ;) I'm a n00b to this though I've been researching for A WHOLE YEAR!! Some features I prefer include: 1. FREE! 2. Not much programming 3. What you'd recommend to a n00b. So far, I've found only these engines on Wikipedia's list of game engines (if of any interest to me): Panda3D DX Studio Klink! Software JOGRE Crystal Space 3D Delta3D Reality Factory Genesis Device Engine OGRE 3D Retribution Engine Spring Stratagus Thanks in advance! :) [Edited by - Promit on November 21, 2008 12:16:41 PM]
Advertisement
Game Maker
^ I agree with egwenejs, http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/try; gamemaker is a phenominal tool for new to semi new people in the game development tool, especially those who just wanna make a game and not get a Computer Science degree or even learn a programming language such as C++ and look at the giant documents for something like Ogre 3D which AFAIK will bring up your literacy just as good as a Harry Potter book and much more effective than No Child Left Behind =P..

Seriously though, I made some pretty cool games with GM in little time flat here is the documentries: http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/docs

Perahaps, Using Macromedia Flash trials would be good too and learn ActionScript; I am not sure if they have a X number of day trial or the program is just limited, but it probally wouldn't give as much freedom or be as easy as GM.

RPG Maker was another cool program, google it I am not sure if they make updated versions of it just like Bloodshed DEV C++ hasn't :)!
Here are the major software I've tried:

DarkBASIC: Yeah, it may be the EASIEST programming language out there, but it's not 'out-of-the-box', like an engine. And it has outdated stuff.

RPG Maker 2003: Sometimes I think they give you TOO many possibilities. Maybe RPG just isn't for me?

The 3D Gamemaker: This software is a WASTE OF MONEY!! I payed $35 for a software with NO rag-doll physics, lame graphics so it wouldn't even work, and not large funcionality. I though it would be like a game maker where I could make my own race tracks and put down computers, maybe even multipayer! I was WRONG. EVERY map is premade. And the ones you can make are just block, square corridors with up to 3 textures. LAME!

Stratagus: May not be major but it like only works on Linux so it's like stupid.

Gamemaker: I don't like it. Again, a program that gives you to much creativity, instead of focusing on ONE genre. Fighting games are a BIG hassle.

Anyway, that's my view on things. I hear Action Game Maker was coming out from Enterbrain, allowing the making of great cartoon-like shooter, rpg and platform. Though I think it'll be $60 when it comes out :(
What game do you want to make with this engine?
How much programming are you intending to do with this engine?
Do you know how to program? If so, which languages?

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Quote:Original post by yaustar
What game do you want to make with this engine?
How much programming are you intending to do with this engine?
Do you know how to program? If so, which languages?

1. Well, any really. I actually am aiming on trying out Adventure Maker. I downloaded Game Maker 7.0 AGAIN, maybe this time I'll stay with it :/
Well, I'd like to make RPG games with RPG Maker XP, FPS games with FPS Creator, and RTS games with The Spring Engine, but I have no money :( (note: the reason about The Spring Engine is because it needs to go online for something (mods), and I'm writing to you right now on my Dad's computer. I have a computer, but with no internet.)

2. Nada. I'd hate to program. I plan on trying Atari's Lite-C thing. By the way, I bet the only language that would go for me would be BASIC, maybe Visual Basic, but I'm not sure. I'm patient that's all...

3. A LITTLE with BASIC. When I mean a little I mean I KNOW only like five lines of code BUT with the help code text menu thingy, I was able to make a quiz. Too bad it didn't come out right cause I couldn't get the input and calculations working :/
Maybe Virtools might be suitable for you then.
But it's not free... But I think the student/indy liscence is very cheap.

If you don't want to make any code, and you want stuff out of the box, go for it :)

www.virtools.com
If you want to make games and not program...erm, Game Maker. Game Maker and Game Maker. Also RPG Maker and FPS Creator for easier to use on there respective genre.

But with a bit of easier programming, you have:

But DarkBASIC Pro(make sure its the Pro version lol) is pretty good tho its all programming.

BlitzMax(kinda like DBP but cross platform)

Panda3D uses python so thats pretty nice.

C# and XNA or C#/VisualBasic.Net with DGDK.Net is what im currently using is pretty good.

Thats really your options.

Good luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement