Math / Programming Question

Started by
1 comment, last by timbo317 15 years, 5 months ago
Hey guys, I have (what should be) a very easy question. I am new to game design, but have been programming in JAVA for about 6 years now. I am createing a JAVA 3D asteroids game, using JME. I have a sphere set in space which represents Earth. My idea is to have "asteroids" created in various locations (3fVector), and then have the asteroids move toward earth. The player has to shoot the asteroids before they hit Earth. Simple enough, but I am having problems with the math involved in determining the "direction" these asteroids need to move in order to eventually hit earth. I am throwing spheres out in space in random places with the method asteroid.setLocalTranslation(x,x,x); So, how would I then determine the relative position to move to eventually collide with earth? Hope that makes sense, I am sure there is just some mathematic formula where you can take the 3fVector location of the asteroid, and the 3fVector location of the earth, and come up with a directional vector that the asteroid needs to be moved, but I am very lost on what that formula might be. Thanks guys!
Advertisement
Its considered rude to cross-post. Don't do it next time.

... and really??? All you need to do is subtract the position of the asteroid from the position of earth, presuming you want a direct vector and not a curved path.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Thanks for the reply..

Subtracting the vector was the first thing that I tried... but it didn't do what I thought it would. Maybe there is an issue with my movement controller. I will keep trying but yeah, I am very new to 3D vectors. Thanks for the reply and sorry for the cross post.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement