What have I gotten myself into...?

Started by
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 15 years, 4 months ago
I was watching my mum play Zelda: Twilight Princess on my wii last night and thought that it would be a fun challenge to make a game. I go to yahoo answers and learn that I need to learn C++ code. No biggie. Then I start reading horrific words such as "platforms" and "DirectX SDK". I even heard: "It takes many people to make one game; sometimes hundreds of programers". And I'm just a newb. I'm scared. *cowers*
Advertisement
Don't try to make a game like Zelda. Don't even try to make a game right now. Learn how to make a program - anything. Read some tutorials (either Google for beginning programming or look here) and start programming. Once you get comfortable with programming non-game related stuff, then you can move towards game development.

It is not completely true that it requires multiple people to make a game - though a lot of games are made with a bunch of people.

DirectX SDK is a tool for us developers to use. Essentially, it is something other people made for you to use to make games faster and better. It's a good thing.

Platform is as simple as Windows, Mac, Linux, XBox, etc etc. I am sure there is more to it, but this definition should suffice.

One final point - C++ is a fine language for you to learn with - but it can cause some severe headaches. I enjoy it, but I also enjoy things I shouldn't (like I enjoy the bad taste of vitamins even though I get grossed out every time). Try C# if you're worried about getting too much. I hear Python's also great though I don't have much experience with it. Good luck!
Quote:Original post by Venustas
I go to yahoo answers and learn that I need to learn C++ code. No biggie.

Actually, C++ is quite a biggie. It's a well-known language, but certainly not the only or best one.

Quote:Then I start reading horrific words such as "platforms" and "DirectX SDK". I even heard: "It takes many people to make one game; sometimes hundreds of programers".

Yeah, sometimes. But look at the average Flash game: these are more often than not the result of a single person and a few weeks, sometimes months, of work.

I'd say, look into Gamemaker or Flash. Those should be fairly easy to get started with.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
And read the FAQs too. Click "View Forum FAQ" atop this thread.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement