Assembling the intellectual elite

Started by
81 comments, last by all_names_taken 15 years, 4 months ago
I've recently adopted the belief that the world would be a far better place if operated solely by a meritocracy of the intellectual elite. In particular, I think replacing the majority of political and bureaucratic machinery with a slimmed-down, pragmatic framework would eliminate a vast amount of the problems that our planet currently faces. In this particular environment, persons would be appointed to positions of power and control based entirely on their capabilities to do the appointed job, and do it well. Democracy would be eliminated in favor of a system that recognizes and promotes real achievements that benefit mankind and society as a whole. Of course, such a scheme faces numerous practical problems and would be significantly difficult to enact, especially in a culture like that of the US where people are deeply attached to their right to vote, despite the general abuse, misuse, and ignorant wasting of that right by a significant fraction of the populace. So what I'm interested in primarily at the moment is a way to accumulate a body of like-minded individuals that can begin shaping the culture and society for such a significant restructuring. If nothing else, it'd be cool to find the local smart folks and hang out with them, as a reprieve from the general apathy, ignorance, and anti-intellectual bent of contemporary American society. Anyone have some ideas for how to go about establishing such a gathering?

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Advertisement
I find it hard to believe that enough people could be both intellectual elite and like minded. At least, not to the extent that they would be able to solve and agree how to solve a vast majority of issues.

On the other hand, you could try to look at Google's hiring process [smile]
Quote:Original post by ApochPiQ
In this particular environment, persons would be appointed to positions of power and control based entirely on their capabilities to do the appointed job, and do it well. Democracy would be eliminated in favor of a system that recognizes and promotes real achievements that benefit mankind and society as a whole.

Right, and how do you propose to do that? How do you design the review system? Do you go and ask the population: "are you better off now?". Sounds a lot like another system that's quite popular in the western world.

Actually, I'm not nearly as interested in the pseudopolitical machinations as I am in just getting smart people together in one place. It seems like there is a serious lack of that in the "general public" - i.e. outside of fairly exclusive subcultures (academia being the main one that comes to mind).

In other words, something for the common uncommon man [smile]

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

I see it as being a solid proposal with numerous, tangible benefits but at the same time I consider it a pipe-dream.

Quote:
In this particular environment, persons would be appointed to positions of power and control based entirely on their capabilities to do the appointed job, and do it well. Democracy would be eliminated in favor of a system that recognizes and promotes real achievements that benefit mankind and society as a whole.

I can't think of any current politicians that even come close to fitting those criteria, although you address this yourself.
Getting a lot of smart/intellectual people in one place does not in any way guarantee that there won't be any general apathy, ignorance or "anti-intelligent" behavior.

Case in point: OpenGL or Direct3D? HTML or Variables? Hockey Simulator or MP3-beating Compression.
I suspect rulership by any one cliche would devolve quickly into corrupt dictatorship. Without democratic oversight, you'd quickly find the rules of what constitutes "the most capable person for the job" falls into line with the thinking of the rulers.

However, if the ruling cabal gets to wear cowled robes, I'm all for it.
Quote:Original post by ApochPiQ
So what I'm interested in primarily at the moment is a way to accumulate a body of like-minded individuals that can begin shaping the culture and society for such a significant restructuring. If nothing else, it'd be cool to find the local smart folks and hang out with them, as a reprieve from the general apathy, ignorance, and anti-intellectual bent of contemporary American society.

What comes to mind on this point is your local Mensa group? I doubt though that you'll be able to militarize them [smile]
I've found that the primary issue with getting 'smart people' together is that the increased specialization, cultivated by the need to be competitive in a free-market economy, means that while people may be intelligent in some areas, they can be utterly naive in others -- myself more than included.

I always wanted to put my Computer Science professor in the same room as my Italian professor and time how long it would take for them to strike up a meaningful conversation on common ground. I would guess, given their narrow specialties, quite a while.

So while you may find it easy to surround yourself with like-minded individuals in specialized subjects (Computer Science conventions, et cetera) -- I think you would be hard pressed to find a significantly large group of modern Renaissance Men... society has just moved in the opposite direction.

While I disagree that the world would be better operated by the intellectual elite (It works in theory, but does it work in practice? Measuring the difference between theoretical and pragmatic knowledge is a tricky business), I always enjoy the company of those far more intelligent than I. If your militia makes its way to Boston, look me up.

Your best bet would be to find a small group of like-minded friends, start a secret society, develop some traditions and rituals, and scour the bookstores and universities for like-minded folk. Invite them to dine with your 'secret' society. Their curiosity as to your exclusiveness will hook them, and hopefully your witty dinner conversation will reel them in...
Best implemented but still corrupt meritocracy I can think of was Scholar-Bureaucrats of Old China.

Your proposal sounds something like Plato's Philosopher Kings or a Technocratic Republic. I dont like it. Just because someone is 'intelligent' does not mean they are immune to vices, greed and corruption. On a more mundane level, have you never had to spend time with over-pompous dullards smug in their 'high IQ' points and expertise in the narrowest subset of arcana? Likely this group will be the quickest path to a dystopian future with elites that decide what is best for whom. Eugenics, Social Prediction, destruction of liberty and removal of individual freedoms and the whole lot would be quickly arrived at by them since as it were, they know better than you what is good for you.

Any small group of self selecting elites will quickly degenerate into rabid totalitarianism. Note too that the like mindedness which leads to inexistent dissenting opinions also leads to cultural , scientific stagnation and apathy. Then collapse.

As for the more practical goal. See about attending conferences near you or arranging regular talks, discussion/meeting groups with invited speakers from different areas of specialties. Not just say, science. Contacting people (perhaps in a local college) that might help you secure a venue and talkers. Creating Posters advertising the meetings and placing them in bookstores, local university campuses or utilizing facebook and similar networking tools to find interested people nearby would be the first step to create such a gathering.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement