Sign in to follow this  
of_ownage

physX ragdoll

of_ownage    110
hey guys, i wanted to implement ragdolls in physX from skinned .x meshes. But im lost. Whats the best way? I have a mesh with Containers e.g. 3 (upper body lower body head) and i have like 70 bones on that mesh. Now the different Containers are influenced by one or more bones. What is the best way to make a ragdoll object for such a mesh. The examples from physX construct the geometry and bones for the mesh and then draw stuff like that. But i have it the other way, i have geometry + bones and want to construct a ragdoll object from it. Is there any source code on the i-net i did not find or some examples? thank you really much :)

grhodes_at_work    1385
I don't have a pointer to any example code, but the basic idea is that your bones would each be a separate rigid body. Then create a PhysX joint between two bones wherever your skeleton indicates a joint should exist. A quick-and-dirty way to do this would just be to create a ball joint with no rotation limits. Not super realistic, since real skeletons have ball joints with limits, hinge joints with limits, etc. But if you create a PhysX model based on just ball joints...you would have a simple rag doll model to begin experimenting with.

Now, I know your mesh has 3 containers. Each container having many vertices. I hope you are allowing each vertex to be influenced by a different set of bones, e.g., the left leg vertices in the lower body container should be influenced by a completely different set of bones than the right leg vertices in the same container. I'm sure you have all this set up correctly...just wanted to clarify.