opengl or directx

Started by
13 comments, last by TTK-Bandit 15 years, 5 months ago
I am starting to learn, I have not heard the best things about Directx. Which is better Direct x or openGL or are they both about the same? 3dmodeler
http://digitalart.f-sw.com
Advertisement
See if this helps.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
OpenGL and Direct3D will allow you to do essentially the same thing. They accomplish it in different ways -- if you are in doubt, pick one and give it a shot, see how you think it feels. Then take a look at the other, and decide which you like better.

The only caveat would be, for OpenGL, don't try to compare the immediate-mode (glBegin / glVertex / glEnd) portion of the API with D3D directly. You'll likely see the immediate mode API first learning OpenGL, and there is no equivalent in D3D, which may seem like a disadvantage. However, GL's immediate mode is one of the slowest methods of rendering available in the API, so if you intend to do things that are nontrivial eventually, you'll want to use a more efficient rendering method.
Though for many here this is a non-issue, don't discount the advantage of OpenGL in cross-platform portability. With D3D you and all your users are stuck with Windows forever and ever.

I'm not trying to diss Microsoft here. I simply think it is good to support interoperability and open standards (not open source software--these are separate issues, and open standards are not a communist philosophy, unlike open source is).

I hope you choose OpenGL. Learn and use only those features that are not marked as deprecated in the recent 3.0 standard.
"But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?" --Mark Twain

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Looking for a high-performance, easy to use, and lightweight math library? http://www.cmldev.net/ (note: I'm not associated with that project; just a user)
funny.. its the same question i've been asking the other day in other forums..
and i got an answer that OpenGL is the best enigne that is.. its faster than DX and works on many platforms more than DX.. so i hightly suggest you to learn OpenGL.. as me that learning OpenGL already on my 3rd week of learning, im already know how to:
make 2d stuff like lines, boxes, circles, dots etc.
load textutres AGP, BMP and JPG file formats
plus i know how to create Boxes, circles and texture them..
also, fogging, blending lights effects and so on.. its really easy to learn that languange!
i've learning DX before it, and i can tell you that OpeNGL is much more easyer than DX!
Rakion Hacks, Downloads, videos and more!http://gplaces.net/spec/rakion.php
Quote:Original post by GogetaX
and i got an answer that OpenGL is the best enigne that is..
This is nonsensical.
Quote: its faster than DX
This is flat out false.
Quote:and works on many platforms more than DX..
This is probably true.

There's one critical problem, which is that very nearly every OpenGL teaching resource available (especially NeHe) is awful and teaches you to write OpenGL code that you should never, ever write. I guarantee you that the code GogetaX writes is uniformly ancient OpenGL code that should never see the light of day, through no fault of his own. It's rather difficult to learn it properly when all the resources are 1) severely outdated 2) written by clueless people, or 3) both 1 and 2.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:
There's one critical problem, which is that very nearly every OpenGL teaching resource available (especially NeHe) is awful and teaches you to write OpenGL code that you should never, ever write. I guarantee you that the code GogetaX writes is uniformly ancient OpenGL code that should never see the light of day, through no fault of his own. It's rather difficult to learn it properly when all the resources are 1) severely outdated 2) written by clueless people, or 3) both 1 and 2.

I totally agree, a lot of OpenGL tutorials are ancient code. However I would say there seem to be a lot more OpenGL tutorials and materials around so they are good to get you going and then you can learn better ways to do what you understand to do another way.

I find OpenGL a lot easier to work with than direct 3D, I learnt OpenGL first using immediate mode and got to grips with that then progressed to using vertex arrays and VBO's so I found switching to direct 3D after this very simple (as direct3D vertex buffers are very similar to OpenGL). It seems OpenGL has a nicer learning curve than direct3D - all be it using some deprecated OpenGL code.

In general though your doing things that both GL and DX can both deal with and especially when using shaders I don't really see benefits over which one you use. The reason I use GL more commonly is because I have a nice little engine and just feel more comfortable using GL. Once you know one of them pretty well the other should be easy to pick up because when learning a graphics API you will learn lots of rendering techniques, maths and so on that have no bearing on which API you use.
Well if it was like 10 years ago I would say OpenGL but currently OGL is lagging behind DX.The letdown with opengl 3.0 didn't help anything either.I'm hoping khronos holds his word and releases 3.1 in a few months and removes all the depreceated features and cleans the API.If you are going to be writing games for windows D3D is the way to go now, its much cleaner.If you are doing something cross platform you are stuck with OGL.
Side note : I remember the days when 3d studio max was using opengl by default.Now its using d3d I guess correct me if I'm wrong.

Yup. DX9 by default, but DX10 works too.

I prefer DirectX too. Really easy to learn. You can even start a new project with sound and gamepad support with a wizard. They also have tutorials for both dx9 and dx10 in their SDK.
Quote:Original post by Promit

Are there any good tutorials/resources available that you can recommend? I've
got the book OpenGL Game Programming by Kevin Hawkins and Dave Astle. Is it still a good resource or is it so dated that it's no longer useful?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement