a bit o' info

Started by
0 comments, last by PKLoki 15 years, 4 months ago
I have spent the last year learning, and plan to continue learning, what I can about different aspects of game development. I have some basic skills in Maya and Blender, and moderate skills in Photoshop, Flash and Illustrator. I have also learned, thanks to school classes, the basics of Java and am now beginning to learn C#. After this winter session, i'm going to try and pick up a third language. Now comes a couple questions I have. First, I want to get into making a basic 3d game, and at this point, i'm happy to make a game where I can simply move around a 3d map, like in the video found here:
I understand he has some copied elemets, such as the weapons and their animations. While i'm not looking to make the next World of Warcraft, I would like to get started in some of the basics of 3d game development, and let's be honest, making a level and moving around is as basic as I can get, right? So my question is, is there a tutorial to make such a thing, or should I go through and try to use and understand the XNA dev kit? I have tried to read over the tutorials for understanding the 3d environment, but have yet to find one that help me either set up such an environment, or alter one that is already created. Secondly, I wanted to know how easy it was to use a 3d file I created in maya or Blender, as the basis for a character or terrain detail, i.e. going from a .blend terrain field, to importing it into the "Game" and actually testing it. I'm sorry if this is really long, but i'm very curious and look forward to any help you guys can offer.
Advertisement
If you're learning C# then XNA is a pretty good place to start. It's no silver gamedev bullet, you still need to do a lot of coding yourself, but it sounds like that's what you're after for now. It simplifies a lot of the 'back-end' stuff so you can concentrate on the game logic. That's significant for a beginner because it's so easy at first to get bogged down in the details of setting up windows, managing graphics devices etc.

XNA generally integrates well with 3D tools using the 'content' system, which is extensible if you find the default importers don't fit your needs.

Visit http://www.mugsgames.com

Stroids, a retro style mini-game for Windows PC. http://barryskellern.itch.io/stroids

Mugs Games on Twitter: [twitter]MugsGames[/twitter] and Facebook: www.facebook.com/mugsgames

Me on Twitter [twitter]BarrySkellern[/twitter]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement