Sign in to follow this  
ghett0gs0n

URGENT HELP !!! BEGINNER WOES.........

ghett0gs0n    100
i ve to develop a simcity clone for my final year project and i ve no clue hwo to start and wit wat. if anyone wit experiance can giv me a basic idea of wat i need to do, how to do it and how to get started .....................

oler1s    585
Quote:
wat to search google for?lik i said i dunno hwo to start
Start with some English language primers. If you can't write half decent English, it's unlikely you'll be able to comprehend the technical resources a programmer must read.

Quote:
i ve to develop a simcity clone for my final year project and i ve no clue hwo to start and wit wat.
Moreover, with a statement like this, how did you get to your final year utterly clueless? What programs have you made so far? What do you know?

Ezbez    1164
Questions: Final year college or high school (or some equivalent in another country)? If college, what is your major? How much programming have you done before? Do you have any related experience?

ghett0gs0n    100
Its my final year project for my Btech. in Computer Sc. .it cannot be changed. i knw c/c++ and would like to work in dat.Its to be made in 2D .

as for sarcastic resonses da fact remians i do hav to complete the project.and i am aware ur expertise exceeds mine(which is the reason im here) and mine exceeds none :P . hence kindly refrain from moral discourse and adjuctate all help possible.

MortusMaximus    159
Well, pick what technology you want to use. What operating system will you be working with? What compiler will you use? What IDE? Will you use OpenGL or DirectX?

Once you decide that, work on getting a window to pop up, and then a main menu. Once you have gotten that far, you might start getting ideas about how to continue.

ghett0gs0n    100
since im plannin to work with c++ ill probably use visual c++ or just simple turbo c++ coimpliler. i ve never worked with agame engine befoer . do i need to for a 2d tile game?

ghett0gs0n    100
since im plannin to work with c++ ill probably use visual c++ or just simple turbo c++ coimpliler. i ve never worked with agame engine befoer . do i need to for a 2d tile game?

Nik02    4348
You do need a game engine in order to run the large number of simulations (such as traffic, pollution, crime, and fire) needed for a SimCity-type game. Such engine is not the simplest possible one by far, and you should have a lot of experience writing smaller (preferably graphical) games before you undertake a project of this magnitude.

C++ is one of the most difficult high-level languages. If you have no justified preference over the language you're going to use, I would recommend C# instead.

Also, it is actually really important that you master English before starting programming. Please consider this as a friendly nudge in the right direction, rather than an attempt to ridicule you personally.

rip-off    10979
How experienced are you with C++? What is the most complex project you have completed in C++? Do you know any other languages - and if so have you completed larger projects in them?

You really should try hard to form correct English posts. This isn't an instant messenger or a chat room. We would be more accommodating if it was clear that English was not your native language. Spell correctly - especially with small, easy words like "what" and "with" (some browsers will spell check your posts for you). Use capitalisation where necessary. It really isn't that difficult, but you will get better responses for it.

See it from our point of view: if you cannot be bothered to put enough effort into writing your posts - why should we put any effort into replying?

zacs7    136
> simple turbo c++ coimpliler
Long dead. Don't even try use that old rusty machine.

Being final year CompSci you should have sound understanding of basic maths and programming. Thus all you need is a will to learn, correct English and a few good resources such as books.

rozz666    896
Quote:
Original post by zacs7
> simple turbo c++ coimpliler
Long dead. Don't even try use that old rusty machine.

I think he meant this: http://www.turboexplorer.com/cpp
It's definitely not dead.

smc    292
Quote:
Original post by ghett0gs0n
wat to search google for?lik i said i dunno hwo to start

Starting can be the hardest part by far sense you have no idea of how to go about writing a game such as sim city. Considering this game encompass all aspects of game programming I would recommend you use some sort of library. I see there is a post to the original source code for the game. I would start there. The second link I provided in my previous post will be of assistance if you need to understand/code a particular method. e.g. isometric view.

TheTroll    883
Is it just me or are there others here wondering how you get to your finally year of a BS degree and no even understand the basics of beginning a project like this? And people wonder why I have told them in the past, a degree doesn't matter, being able to do the job matters. I am just utterly shocked. Okay mini-rant over.

This should give you are pretty good start in the design process. Since you don't have a clue about what you are doing, you should pretty much read and learn everything here; Learning how to design a game.

One more little piece of advice. Drop the attitude. You are coming here for help, you really don't want to irritate the natives.

theTroll

brent_w    100
How can this guy be anything but a troll.
Have any of you been reading his posts?
He appears to be going out of his way to make as many spelling/grammar errors as he possibly can. Not to mention double posting.

I can't believe that someone who can't even write a sentence would be in his last year of CS. Or that such a person could write a "hello world", let alone a sim city clone.

smc    292
Quote:
Original post by brent_w
He appears to be going out of his way to make as many spelling/grammar errors as he possibly can. Not to mention double posting.

I can't believe that someone who can't even write a sentence would be in his last year of CS. Or that such a person could write a "hello world", let alone a sim city clone.

He is most likely from India. B.Tech in India is a equivalent to BS in America.

// There are bad schools everywhere.
A side topic found while lookup up B.Tech... Link

Which should further reinforce TheTroll' pure hatred and discust of any institutionalized form of education. /sarcasm please

And I cnt belve ppl cn writ lik dis for realz.

MaulingMonkey    1730
Quote:
Original post by brent_w
He appears to be going out of his way to make as many spelling/grammar errors as he possibly can.

To be fair, he could be dyslexic on top of his lazy and clueless.
Quote:
Not to mention double posting.

I can't see his other thread. Or did you mean the two replies in here? The forum software & server are... sketchy enough that you can't always tell if a post made it through, and no regular would bat an eyelid at seeing accidental duplicates in-thread in short succession. I believe my own record is 5 in a row (which I subsequently deleted...)

Quote:

Pot... Kettle... FLUORESCENT ORANGE!!!

deadstar    536
Quote:
Original post by smc
Quote:
Original post by brent_w

BTech is a British thing too, and not much better as far as I know. The Computing BTech where I used to go to college (school in America? I'm not sure) is little more than basic HTML and a load of Microsoft Office tutorials. They might touch Java for a few hours.

brent_w    100
Quote:
Original post by smc
Quote:
Original post by brent_w

Generally I would assume someone with bad grammar/spelling is foreign.

But in this case he seems to be using American slang and onomatopœia for words spoken with a 'street' accent.

So, he doesn't really come across as foreign.

edit:
And from what I can tell his name appears to indicate he is a "ghetto OG ... son".

Xai    1848
personally, I think a college student is likely to get further in a language like C# than C++ having only got 1 semester to work with (he'll most likely get lost in pointer flaws and other core bugs in a language like C/C++ if he is not very experienced), that said ... try to figure out what to omit either way ... you say a simcity clone, but to what level ... can it be a simple 2D top-down view of a simulation like that? learn to cut out anything not 100% essential. Start by making a list of game features and technologies you need ... then prioritize then ... then axe any that are optional (you can always add them later if time permits). So something like networking ... would get axed quick. But something like 2D isometric view, would only get axes when you find the simpler alternative that is good enough (like 2D top-down view - which is what I'd do first).

So you need:

1. Simple Game Objects (buildings, people, whatever)
2. Simulation Engine (the thing that makes stuff change when time passes).
3. Game play commands (telling the game to put building X in location Y)
4. Simple Input handling (mouse clicks, or typing)
5. Screen drawing (show the state of the game on the screen).

Things I'd omit till later:
- Screen scrolling, initially just run tiny simulations that fit 100% on 1 screen.
- Sound
- Any screen rotation or orientation control