URGENT HELP !!! BEGINNER WOES.........

Started by
26 comments, last by stimarco 15 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by brent_w
How can this guy be anything but a troll.
Have any of you been reading his posts?
He appears to be going out of his way to make as many spelling/grammar errors as he possibly can. Not to mention double posting.

I can't believe that someone who can't even write a sentence would be in his last year of CS. Or that such a person could write a "hello world", let alone a sim city clone.

He is most likely from India. B.Tech in India is a equivalent to BS in America.

// There are bad schools everywhere.
A side topic found while lookup up B.Tech... Link

Which should further reinforce TheTroll' pure hatred and discust of any institutionalized form of education. /sarcasm please

And I cnt belve ppl cn writ lik dis for realz.
∫Mc
Advertisement
He appears to be going out of his way to make as many spelling/grammar errors as he possibly can.

To be fair, he could be dyslexic on top of his lazy and clueless.
Quote:Not to mention double posting.

I can't see his other thread. Or did you mean the two replies in here? The forum software & server are... sketchy enough that you can't always tell if a post made it through, and no regular would bat an eyelid at seeing accidental duplicates in-thread in short succession. I believe my own record is 5 in a row (which I subsequently deleted...)

Quote:I can't believe that someone who can't even write a sentence would be in his last year of CS. Or that such a person could write a "hello world", let alone a sim city clone.

Pot... Kettle... FLUORESCENT ORANGE!!!
Quote:Original post by smc
He appears to be going out of his way to make as many spelling/grammar errors as he possibly can. Not to mention double posting.

I can't believe that someone who can't even write a sentence would be in his last year of CS. Or that such a person could write a "hello world", let alone a sim city clone.

BTech is a British thing too, and not much better as far as I know. The Computing BTech where I used to go to college (school in America? I'm not sure) is little more than basic HTML and a load of Microsoft Office tutorials. They might touch Java for a few hours.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

Quote:Original post by smc

Generally I would assume someone with bad grammar/spelling is foreign.

But in this case he seems to be using American slang and onomatopœia for words spoken with a 'street' accent.

So, he doesn't really come across as foreign.

edit:
And from what I can tell his name appears to indicate he is a "ghetto OG ... son".
personally, I think a college student is likely to get further in a language like C# than C++ having only got 1 semester to work with (he'll most likely get lost in pointer flaws and other core bugs in a language like C/C++ if he is not very experienced), that said ... try to figure out what to omit either way ... you say a simcity clone, but to what level ... can it be a simple 2D top-down view of a simulation like that? learn to cut out anything not 100% essential. Start by making a list of game features and technologies you need ... then prioritize then ... then axe any that are optional (you can always add them later if time permits). So something like networking ... would get axed quick. But something like 2D isometric view, would only get axes when you find the simpler alternative that is good enough (like 2D top-down view - which is what I'd do first).

So you need:

1. Simple Game Objects (buildings, people, whatever)
2. Simulation Engine (the thing that makes stuff change when time passes).
3. Game play commands (telling the game to put building X in location Y)
4. Simple Input handling (mouse clicks, or typing)
5. Screen drawing (show the state of the game on the screen).

Things I'd omit till later:
- Screen scrolling, initially just run tiny simulations that fit 100% on 1 screen.
- Sound
- Any screen rotation or orientation control
first prize to smc for guesssing im indian . Aneway thanks for all the responses, my C++ is mediocore .i ve worked on a steganography project and a 2d pacman game befeor dis(both kinda lame).

i looked up micropolis code befoere but didnt bother since it was in python . ill chek it out now.

excuse me for my english and approach, im knew new on dis forum and yesterday i was totally flabbergasted since knwoning the amount i time i ve left for my first project review .
as for my clueless status i ve job offers in infyosys,accenture and HCL :) though i do agree my knowledge is more relevant in other domains :P

ty for xai for da most helpful post till now, for now im gettin to puttin togeder a 2d-grid and designing mdoels of building and stuff for which ill probably use blender etc. can i use a engine to design the 2d-grid?

Quote: can i use a engine to design the 2d-grid?

I am not sure I understand the question. Could you elaborate.
∫Mc
Quote:Original post by ghett0gs0n
first prize to smc for guesssing im indian .

The official languages of India are Hindi and English, so you haven't given us a good reason for your poor English. Many English-speaking Western nations have been outsourcing their call-centres to India for years, so English is clearly taught to a decent standard in your country.

I strongly suggest you invest in some additional English classes. You will regret not doing so.

Quote:
as for my clueless status i ve job offers in infyosys,accenture and HCL :) though i do agree my knowledge is more relevant in other domains :P

I'm not sure I'd trust a corporation that uses Flash for so much of their site and can't even be bothered to perform basic spellchecking -- "Pioneering Heritedge"? I suppose it could be a really bad attempt at a marketing neologism, but I suspect not -- suggests both their QA and attention to detail need work. And lots of it.

And I wouldn't hire Accenture if they paid me. They have an appalling track record for bungling UK IT projects. (Second only to the mighty EDS, the true Captain of Cock-ups.)

If you have a choice, I'd go with Infosys.

Sean Timarco Baggaley (Est. 1971.)Warning: May contain bollocks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement