Sign in to follow this  
Android07

Can't delete

I'm having some problems with the destructors for my program. I have a Product class that has several different class inheriting from it. These all get destructed fine when they should except for object of one particular type that inherits from Product. When it should be deleted I get an assertion failure at the line _ASSERTE(_BLOCK_TYPE_IS_VALID(pHead->nBlockUse)); in dbgdel.cpp The object is of type CreditCard that also inherits from Card. Neither Card or CreditCard has a destructor as they don't allocate any resources, only the Product class. I don't know if the multiple inheritance has anything to do with this as I have never used it before. Product *cc = new CreditCard(); delete cc; causes the error but CreditCard *cc = new CreditCard(); delete cc; works fine. Is there anyway that I can fix this or am I going to have to cast by Product pointer to a CreditCard pointer before I can delete it? Thanks.

Can you post the particular classes (Product and CreditCard)?

Classes you want to delete through a pointer to the base class should have a virtual destructor. In general, if you have any virtual functions in a class it should have a virtual destructor.

Finally, are you sure it makes sense for a CreditCard to be a subclass of Product? Maybe it does in your program (if you are modelling a bank or something) but intuitively these concepts are distinct. I mention this because some programmers overuse inheritance in cases where it isn't appropriate.

It is for banking application, I just tried a virtual destructor and it works now.

Thanks for the help. I have never seen anywhere that you should have a virtual destructor for class with virtual functions so I never thought to do that.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Original post by Android07
Thanks for the help. I have never seen anywhere that you should have a virtual destructor for class with virtual functions so I never thought to do that.

*Any* book will tell you this. If yours doesn't, get a different one.