Sign in to follow this  
esenthel

D3DXCreateEffect slow

Hi, I need your help, I'm a developer of Esenthel Engine I've encountered a strange behavior with D3DXCreateEffect when loading shaders (they're already compiled, in binary format). There are lots of shaders in one file, on my system it takes only 2 seconds to load them, however few days ago a user posted on my forum that it takes 30-40 seconds to load them on his system. For the last few days I've tried multiple ideas and none gave any good results. Users system is "SAPPHIRE ULTIMATE HD 3850 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E. (with last driver) AMD 4200+, 4Go RAM. XP SP3" Mine is "Core 2 Quad 2,4 2GB Ram, NVidia 9600GT Vista Business" There isn't a big difference between those computers, however loading time is 2 seconds versus 30-40. What could be the problem? ATI Graphics Driver? Bug in DirectX shader loading? Lots of other users don't have any problems with the engine, receiving 2-5 seconds on shader loading avarage. To test shader loading time, you would need to download Engine SDK Extract the archive, and just run "Tools\Mesh Editor.exe" which uses the shaders. I'm using lots of shaders/techniques in one hlsl file, which is compiled to a binary file, then loaded via D3DXCreateEffect. We've tried using DirectX Debug runtime to see if there are any errors in the shader loading stage, nothing occured. Any help? Thank you, Grzegorz

Hello, Thank you for the reply,

Are you sure? Where this information can be confirmed?

Well if that's the case I think it'll be even worse, because compiling all the shaders takes about 2 minutes on my computer, so the ending results would be a boost from 2 seconds to 2 minutes (on my system), and from 30-40 seconds to 2-3 minutes (on users system).

Any other suggestions?
Thanks