file.read (memblock, 2);
		cout<< strlen(memblock);
		file.close();
	}
	else
	{
		cout<< "Didnt open";
	}

and example.txt simply has "poopy" written in it. without the quotes. but strlen says 24. whats it doin?

Quote:
Original post by pavel989
and example.txt simply has "poopy" written in it. without the quotes. but strlen says 24. whats it doin?

size = file.tellg();  // returns 5
memblock = new char [size]; // allocate 5 bytes, which contain random values
file.seekg (0, ios::beg);
file.read (memblock, 2); // read 2 bytes into memblock
cout<< strlen(memblock); // search memblock for first \0

Problem is, strlen doesn't know what a word is. It considers the string to end when it encounters a \0 character, which in your case happens to be 25th byte. strlen is actually searching memory you didn't allocate.

Putting memblock[3] = 0 would solve the problem.

Of course, why you would read 2 characters when you know there are 5 characters is beyond me.

A better way:
memblock = new char [size+1];
file.read (memblock, size);
memblock[size] = 0;
cout<< strlen(memblock);

Of course, that will still break if your binary file contains a \0.

strlen counts until it hits the NUL terminator found in C style strings.

However, the file doesn't have any NULs in it. read() fills memblock... but since there's no NUL, when you call strlen on it, you get a buffer overflow -- basically, strlen keeps reading random data past the end of your array.

If you're lucky, this kind of code will crash. You were less lucky -- your program just kept on running with nary a clue in the world that something is wrong except some bad output.

This is why we tend to recommend avoiding the C string manipulation functions (strlen, strcpy, etc) and char* pointers, instead recommending the C++ std::string and std::vector<char> classes as appropriate. They manage their own memory, keep track of their own size, making it easier to avoid making mistakes.

ifstream file ("example.txt", ios::in|ios::binary|ios::ate);

if (file.is_open())
{
file.seekg (0, ios::end);
size = file.tellg();
memblock.assign( std::ifstream_iterator<char>(file), std::ifstream_iterator<char>() );
cout << memblock.size();
file.close();
}
else
{
cout<< "Didnt open";
}

well the thing is, i plan to work on more than binary files. im kind of learning encryption on my own, just for fun.

so can i add an ending character at the end of a memory block?

the reason i put 2 in file.read() is because i'm going to work with hexadecimal values. but it doesnt seem as though it makes a difference what number i put in there. or does it?

Quote:
the reason i put 2 in file.read() is because i'm going to work with hexadecimal values.

Hexadecimal is just a way to represent values. 3F in hexadecimal is the same as 63 in decimal, which is the same as 00111111 in binary form. There's no difference between the actual values.

Now, of course, "3F" is a different story, because it's text. It's a row of characters. If you want to retrieve it's numerical value, you need to parse it to determine it's value. The same goes for "63" and "00111111".

Quote:
well the thing is, i plan to work on more than binary files. im kind of learning encryption on my own, just for fun.

so can i add an ending character at the end of a memory block?
Add block length to the beginning of the block. Your data might contain "ending character".