C++ & Other Languages

Started by
16 comments, last by DevFred 15 years, 5 months ago
Quote:Original post by pcwaddell
If you want to make applications i would try Java. its so easy a caveman could do it.

This is not actually true. Unfortunately, the belief that it is is so prevalent that the industry suffers greatly as a result. :(
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Antheus
Quote:Original post by abachler
C/C++, best language out there IMO, except assembly that is.

Assembly is not a language.

It's not? Does that mean all the hours I spent reading "The Art Of Assembly Language" have been in vain? :(
Quote:Original post by pcwaddell
If you want to make applications i would try Java. its so easy a caveman could do it.

Yeah there are some people that claim Java makes programming so easy it shouldn't even be considered "serious" programming-LOL!
Anyways I recommend you stick with VB.Net for desktop apps since you mentioned you already used that in the past.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
I would prefer C# over VB.Net; VB5 had sense to exist, but VB.Net is only a bad copy of C#.

After learning how to use some stl components (google for std::string, std::vector, std::map) you should not have too many throubles sticking with C++, if you already have some experience with pointers and references.

PS/Quote: There is no language called "C/C++".
Quote:Original post by Ntvu
(...) but instead about programming desktop applications.

(...)

The problem is, I'm not sure which. Is Python a good choice?

What kind of desktop applications do you intend to create?

Personally, I frequently use Python for small file conversion and parsing tools and for prototyping algorithms, game ideas or image processing. It's easy to learn and use and yields results pretty fast in terms of development time. For GUI applications however, I haven't really found a good click-and-go approach to create interfaces with such as Microsoft Visual Studio offers, so that's where I often use C# instead.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
If you've tried to get into C++ and found you didn't like it or had difficulty working with it (and don't worry, you're NOT alone), and you want to write Window apps?...

Then may I recommend C#.

I'm a C/C++ nutter and it took me a while to even try C#, but I'm glad I did. It's a nice language. Easy to learn. Almost as powerful as C++. And you can write highly sophisticated Window apps in no time.

It's a beginner’s language, so you will be "forced" to wear a safety harness so as not to get yourself into too much difficulty. I.e. accessing memory directly, although possible, is frowned upon by the language.

Also... Since C# is well... Based on C++…You may well improve upon some of the C++ skills you currently possess.

If its high performance apps you’re after, C# does support DirectX. Personally, I intend to use C# to write tools and C/C++ for the core code, but, so I hear, DirectX apps written in C# are still pretty damn fast and efficient.

And finally, even if you do decide to go back to C++, you can hook C++ code to C# in various ways, giving you the power of C++ and the ease of use of C# to write Windows driven software on the fly.

Good Luck anyway... Whatever you decide to do!
Quote:Original post by DevFred
Quote:Original post by Antheus
Quote:Original post by abachler
C/C++, best language out there IMO, except assembly that is.

Assembly is not a language.

It's not? Does that mean all the hours I spent reading "The Art Of Assembly Language" have been in vain? :(

yes, its definitely not a language. different "assembly" languages for different platforms, and yes reading a book like that is largely a waste of time, especially if it targets x86 assembly language, which is the worst i have ever seen. programming in assembly say for arm processors is much nicer. Then again, i dont get excited about programming in some inelegant way. I do "program" turing machines and post machines for fun, but they are just mathematical abstractions.

when i was younger i thought programming in assembly was kind of an elite hacker thing until i realized its a lot cooler to get work done and write interesting programs that are beautiful from a design and algorithmic standpoint, rather than worry about 1% performance increases by switching a variable to a certain register in one function.
Quote:Original post by ibebrett
when i was younger i thought programming in assembly was kind of an elite hacker thing

I still think so ;-)

Also it's nice to know what the computer does one level below the C surface.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement