C++ & Other Languages

Started by
16 comments, last by DevFred 15 years, 4 months ago
At the moment I'm still learning about server scripting, like I've mentioned in my previous posts, but soon I'll be moving back to programming desktop applications. I have previously written some desktop applications before in C++ and Visual Basic. So far my largest project is a simple 2D shooter written in C++ and SDL. Anyway, I'm not here to discuss about server scripting, but instead about programming desktop applications. I've worked with C++ before, and it is NOT an easy language to use. I really do like the flexibility (meaning not many limits) and speed that C++ offers me, but it's an incredibly hard language to use for desktop applications. It often seems like I'm fighting with the language rather than using it to program. I've had problems in C++ before with strings and pointers. Therefore I'm considering on using another language to write desktop applications in. The problem is, I'm not sure which. Is Python a good choice? (Be right back, I have to eat dinner)
Advertisement
Anything that is managed is usually easier, ie Perl, Python, Java or C# if you're into that "stuff".

Not to mention they're mostly portable, depending on how you use them.
If you're on Windows, C# and .Net.
For portable GUI, I prefer Java or web frontend, YMMV.

I've only used Python for console applications. While it likely has GUI bindings, I personally haven't heard as Python being recommended for that purpose.
If you want to make applications i would try Java. its so easy a caveman could do it.
C/C++, best language out there IMO, except assembly that is. Huge community, wide ranging support, highly portable to most OS's. check out cboard.cprogramming.com if you need a community to get started with.
Quote:Original post by abachler
C/C++, best language out there IMO, except assembly that is. Huge community, wide ranging support, highly portable to most OS's. check out cboard.cprogramming.com if you need a community to get started with.

There is no best language. If you really believe that then you don't know what you are talking about.

There are better languages to start with, and in my opinion C++ is not one of them.
C/C++, best language out there IMO, except assembly that is.

How is assembly the best language out there? Pure assembly code is a maintanance nightmare.
Actually, it is quite easy to code desktop apps in C++, with a good library like Qt. But I'd always choose something less complicated like Python when I want to make good use of my time.
Quote:Original post by Ntvu
(Be right back, I have to eat dinner)

For future reference, only extremely busy message boards (nothing on GDNet qualifies) should be treated as real-time communication. Threads here are often meaningful for several days, and users are spread across the whole globe (i.e. most if not all possible time zones), so noone really cares if you go to have a meal :)
C/C++, best language out there IMO, except assembly that is.

Assembly is not a language.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement