Sign in to follow this  
Maxi Ng

DX9/10 vs Irrlicht in developing 2D game?

Maxi Ng    136
Since I was told that DX is a little be too powerful and complex for beginners, so I choice Irrlicht for a start. I have been trying Irrlicht for a few days now. most guys use Irrlicht for 3D game and most of them FPS. I am not reading through the documentation, but seems to me that Irrlicht is not so powerful in 2D. I am using draw2DImage() only, I didn't find sprite set scale ,rotation, collision detection functions. Isn't it true that Irrlicht only have so little on 2D? will it be a good idea to use DX? DX does provide more powerful 2D support, right?

Trillian    410
First of all, congratulations for aiming to do a 2D game by using available libraries. Many beginners think they can do the greatest FPS, cross-platform and using only their own code. You're being realistic.

Now, Irrlicht was maybe not the greatest choice as its centered on 3D graphics. I'm sure it provides the functionality to do a 2D game, but it might not be as easy as using something which primary purpose is to enable doing 2D games.

To answer your last question, DirectX offers direct 2D support only through DirectDraw, which has been deprecated for sometime. Of course, you can also do 2D games using Direct3D, if you go this way, look at the ID3DXSprite interface, but its probably going to be a bit more complex than using Irrlicht because of resource management. There's also XNA, which is basically a simplified wrapper over Drect3D and other DirectX components, that could be a bit simpler than plain DirectX and maybe similar in complexity to Irrlicht if you're willing to use C#.

Flash is also a very good platform to develop 2D games, if you can afford it. It's not solely game-oriented but there are plenty of tutorials on the web. There's also Torque Game Builder which looks great for creating 2D games, and it's only about 100$ (you'd have to check, I'm not sure). I don't know a lot about free 2D game engines but I'm sure someone else will be able to suggest one to you.

lmelior    325
Regarding 2-D engines, SDL and Allegro are free, open source, and cross-platform libraries that are frequently recommended for 2-D game development. I've also seen Haaf's Game Engine recommended here a number of times, which is free and open source but Windows only.

This set of tutorials for SDL are very helpful, though I'm not an expert so I can't really judge quality of code used in them. I also found the articles on the site very interesting.

Maxi Ng    136
Thank you, lmelior, Trillian

I have tried XNA and D3D a little bit before trying Irrlicht.
D3D is no doubt complex and XNA only supported by VS2005 express which I do not prefer right now. But I am still thinking about D3D

I will take a look at SDL and Allegro. I think I will be able to find one that suits me after comparing their complexity and power.

Thank you for giving me some directions to look for.

Halifax2    295
I am an avid Irrlicht programmer, and I would most certainly not recommend it for any serious 2D game programming.

There are some great things out there, as others have mentioned: HGE, SDL, Allegro, etc.

Here is one that may be a little less known, but has some adequate examples, an easy-to-learn API, built specifically for 2D, includes what you laid out above, and is constantly being updated: Phoenix

It even contains some great demos that you can download that show off what you can do with it. Specifically this small Zelda tech demo.

I hope you find what your looking for.

BLiTZWiNG    361
Quote:
Original post by Maxi Ng

D3D is no doubt complex and XNA only supported by VS2005 express which I do not prefer right now. But I am still thinking about D3D

That's not quite true. XNA 3 has been out for nearly a month now and is supported by VS2008.