Designer

Started by
10 comments, last by Nofootbird 15 years, 4 months ago
im a college student and i wanna be a game designer,what should i going to know and to get familiar with during my college years?
Advertisement
Here is all what you could need : http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html
Good luck!
There isn't much to add beyond reading Tom Sloper's website. I'm just going to stress that it is important to read a lot from a diversity of subjects, immerse yourself in all sorts of entertain (videogames, movies, boardgames, card games, etc), and make games!

The best way to become a better designer is to practice your craft. With tools at your disposal such as XNA, Pyglet and PyGame, Game Maker, the Source and Unreal engines, etc. it is easier than ever to bring your ideas to screen. Don't limit yourself to just videogames. though. Making boardgames and card games are great exercises as well.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Be familiar with maths.
It's always good to know maths.
Thanks.
i'll do my best :)
Quote:Original post by Nofootbird
im a college student and i wanna be a game designer,what should i going to know and to get familiar with during my college years?

What exactly do you mean with the term 'game designer'? Do you want to be a game programmer, or an artist, or a level-designer, or someone who comes up with game ideas, or someone who leads a development team to get a game done properly?
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Quote:Original post by Cpt Mothballs
Be familiar with maths.
It's always good to know maths.
For a designer? I never really needed maths for the position of a designer. A knowledge about computers, yes I needed it kinda. Pretty deep knowledge about programming, to know what concept is realizable and which not, I used it and it was necessary for success of the project. However math, designer, not.

On the other hand reading about 500 books or more is useful for a game designer. It's shame to see an university educated person to use only themes he learned when he was forced to read few clasic books in his school.
Knowledge of fundamental statistics and trig are about the extent of the math I've had to use.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Perhaps knowing math better will allow you to think more abstractly and come up with more unique and original ideas for your game design. ;)

It never hurts to know math (ok, except sometimes, but it's still better to know it).
Quote:Original post by Captain P
Quote:Original post by Nofootbird

What exactly do you mean with the term 'game designer'? Do you want to be a game programmer, or an artist, or a level-designer, or someone who comes up with game ideas, or someone who leads a development team to get a game done properly?

i'd prefer a level-designer who i guess maybe is the one came up with the idea of the game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement