Sign in to follow this  
nlbs

both operator&() and operator*() is overloaded

If a Class overloads both operator&() and that method returns something other that returning the address of actual object (itself). also if it overloads operator*() and that also returns something else other that returning the actual Object (itself) Whats the way to get the real address of the object. If I ask myself I get the answer there is no way. Is my answer right ??

You can cast an object reference to a reference to a type that has a valid unary & behavior, and take the address of that. Ex:

struct A {
A * operator &() { return 0; }
};

int main(int, char **) {
A a;
int & i = reinterpret_cast<int &>(a);
std::cout << &a << "\n";
std::cout << &i;
}

Technically, this is implementation specific behavior that may or may not actually result in the address of a. Your mileage may vary.

Quote:
If a Class overloads both operator&() and that method returns something other that returning the address of actual object (itself).
also if it overloads operator*() and that also returns something else other that returning the actual Object (itself)

If you overload the bitwise AND operator then there is no problem as it requires a rhs argument to make sense, similarly if you overload the arithmetic multiplication operator.

struct foo
{
foo operator& (foo& f){return *this;}
foo* operator& (){return this;}
};
#include <iostream>
int main()
{

foo f;
foo* fp(&f);
std::cout <<fp <<std::endl;
}

If you are not doing the above then maybe you should reconsider what your operators are doing and if overloading them is __correct__.

Classes such as CComPtr that overload operator & can be a problem when trying to store them in certain containers. The solution used there is to wrap them in CAdapt objects. CAdapt is pretty simple. It's just a class that holds the type you give it (so it's the same size as that) and it doesn't overload the & operator.
You may wish to study that class.