Sign in to follow this  
Clayman992

A book for beginners

I'm absolutely new to video game design but want to get into it and was wondering what are the best books to get me started... thanks. Also sorry if this is in the wrong place, it's just that I checked the whole index and couldn't find an appropriate place since it's quite overwhelming. So my apolgoies. Thank you.

Where are you looking exactly? Forum FAQs, reading the posts in the subforum (just keep reading through the archive) and gdwiki and other forums have plenty of advice.

Short answer is to pick a language and become comfortable using it. That's the first step to be taken. Once again, reading through forum posts will get you plenty of opinions and starting ideas on the choice of language.

You cant get started on game design til you learn a language(I prefer Cplusplus). i would start worrying about game design after you understand loops, exceptions, functions, classes, pointers, etc.

if you go with the Cplusplus route here are places you can start.
First you need a compiler, you can get that here:
http://www.microsoft.com/express/vc/Default.aspx

then you need to learn the language, id start here:
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html#c++tutorial

After you learn it, practice til you feel your comfortable.
then come back and ask what to do next. hope that helps.

Quote:
Original post by Clayman992
I'm absolutely new to video game design but want to get into it and was wondering what are the best books to get me started... thanks.

Also sorry if this is in the wrong place, it's just that I checked the whole index and couldn't find an appropriate place since it's quite overwhelming. So my apolgoies.

Thank you.

What do you want to do? Program? Design? Art? Level Design? etc.

Well I can do art. My major is Animation for games design but I want to learn to program to boost my credentials.

So I have to get comfortable with the language first? I can't just buy an idio-proof book that starts from step one? Okey dokey artichokey.

Thanks for the help.

If you look under the resources tab at the top then look under books, there should be a section of recommended books for beginners. This section has many great books plus reviews of said books.

I would start off with a good "primer" or introductory book for your chosen language(C++, C#, Java, etc).

Also a good starting point would also be the "For Beginners" section under Resources as well. This gives a more in depth sequence for beginners to partake.

The thing is, if all you want to do is design and make games then learning to program isn't a necessary skill to begin with although useful later on. Using applications such as YoYo's GameMaker, you can make games without needing to program and then as you grow more comfortable, learn to program with it's scripting language.

Here is an example of a game made by GameMaker.

Clayman,

You'd be well advised to learn Adobe Flash with ActionScript, if you're coming from an art & design background. It allows you to do timeline (traditional) animation as well as programmatic animation.

ActionScript is a high-level language with dynamic memory management, freeing you from the difficulties that C/C++ programmers face in terms of memory management -- which believe me, is a HUGE thing for someone who doesn't want to undergo years of training and practice. It provides all kinds of drawing, animation, transformation and filtering functions as part of it's core functionality, so this makes things a lot easier for designers wishing to learn to program. Also you can export artwork directly from applications like PhotoShop, Illustrator, InDesign etc. directly into Flash for inclusion in your programs/games.

If I may suggest it, you will want to get yourself a copy of Flash CS3 or CS4 (you can get the trial from Adobe's website, I think it's 60 days free trial. ) Buying it will be well worth it once you've tried it out, because for facilitation of designers moving into programming, it doesn't get much better than this.

Oh, by the way, I don't work for Adobe ;). But Flash/ActionScript rekindled my interest in game and programming in a big way, a couple of years ago. It has it's shortcomings, but it's straightforward to pick up and learn.

Must-have books if you go with Flash CS3/CS4, both published by O'Reilly:
-Essential ActionScript 3.0
-ActionScript 3.0 Cookbook

As for learning about game programming in general: http://wiki.gamedev.net/

Regards,

-Nick