Sign in to follow this  
PlutoWarrior

Getting back into game programming

Hey guys, I recently have found some free time now that I'm out of college and working and I really want to get back into game programming. I haven't really done any real game coding is a few years, mostly just smaller programs my physics class projects. I just don't know where to start again. I looked back into my programming folder and was ashamed at all the half finished, non-running, non-commented code. I really would like to start fresh again and do things right. I'm looking to make a small game, like a Bejeweled clone, but I want the structure of my code to be right. I want the graphics, and logic separated but I've always seemed to have a hard time doing that among other things. I normally would start with the codeblocks template for an openGL application. Any advice on how to get back into the swing of things and actually finish a game for once? Thanks in advance.

Separating graphics and logic is difficult. The best you could do is hide all the graphics in a class, but at some point the logic is going to have to compensate for the low level nature of the graphics. For example I have a class where all you have to do is pass it an array of objects to render, but this limits objects to an array whereas a linked list would be ideal.

As for finishing a project I found that once I began programming for the sake of programming and not the project I was able to finish more projects. I used to enjoy the finished project, but now I most enjoy building stable and understandable class interfaces and efficient code. In that aspect every project is equally interesting, so I have been able to continue work on the same project for a year and a half.