• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Decrius

Euler angles deviation

This topic is 3668 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've had this problem before, and it was solved, though it appeared it has a deviation the bigger the angle is...thanks Mike_nl for pointing me the right way back then ;) The problem: I want to place objects with a random rotation about the Z-axis of the object itself (yaw), on a triangle in a 3D space. However, I haven't made up the way to store these angles, and it's rather weird. Since I develop a program to do something with a file of another application (map making for a game) I have to use it's angle system. The map editor uses this way to place models: First, rotate around the X axis anti-clock wise (if you look from +X to -X). This is either in the coordination system of the model or the whole map. Then, rotate around the Y axis (anti-clock wise) of the model itself, so if we first rotate 90 degree over X, then the Y axis of the model is aligned with the Z axis of the whole map. Afterwards, the Z rotation is applied (anti-clock wise), but this is aligned with the map's Z-axis, not the model's one! I am able to position the model on a random plane using the X and Y rotations. However, I want to give a random rotation about the _model's_ Z axis. At the moment, I use the following formula's. However, the more steep the plane is, the more deviation I get. Flat planes pointing downwards get maximal deviation...their rotation seems not aligned in any way with the plane.
                                        /* x angle for z angle = 0 */
                                        float xAngle = 0.0f;
                                        float xzLength = sqrt(normal.x * normal.x + normal.z * normal.z);
                                        if (xzLength)
                                        {
                                            xAngle = acos(normal.z / xzLength);
                                        }
                                        else
                                        {
                                            xAngle = M_PI / 2.0f; // = 90 degree = acos(0)
                                        }
                                        xAngle *= sign(normal.x);

/* y angle for z angle = 0 */
                                        float yAngle = -acos(xzLength) * sign(normal.y);

/* z angle of the model is taken randomly */
                                        float zAngle = random(rotation_min, rotation_max, rotation_precision) * M_PI / 180;

/* recalculate the x and y angles with the zz angle, and translate into degrees */
                                        float angle_x = ((xAngle * cos(zAngle)) - (yAngle * sin(zAngle))) * 180.0f / M_PI;
                                        float angle_y = ((xAngle * sin(zAngle)) + (yAngle * cos(zAngle))) * 180.0f / M_PI;
                                        float angle_z = zAngle * 180.0f / M_PI;

Where the variable 'normal' is the normal vector of the plane (triangle), and angle_x, angle_y and angle_z are the rotations in degree that are passed to the map editor. I've been reading up on this Euler angle problem (since I think that's the problem): http://mathworld.wolfram.com/EulerAngles.html http://sjbaker.org/steve/omniv/eulers_are_evil.html I am not too great with matrices, but if that is essential to get this fixed, I will use them (though quaternions looked reasonable as well...). FYI: whenever I make the zAngle = 0.0f; all models are perfectly aligned with the plane, though they don't have a Z rotation about themselves. Could anyone point me out what exactly is causing the deviation? And possibly a fix for this problem? I've been analysing the output all the time now and can't seem to create a theory to make this work...simply because it's hard to grasp, I find. Thank you very much! Decrius [Edited by - Decrius on November 24, 2008 11:38:53 AM]

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!