Sign in to follow this  
MrDoDo

Need help understanding Math notation

MrDoDo    122
I'm sorry if this is more apt in the math section but I couldn't be sure. I'm working on a project and it involves implementation of a frequency algorithm in O(n). I've come accross a paper I'm very interested in, but my math is speckled, and I just don't know how to interpret this: |K| Where K is a set of individual, distinct symbols. Worth noting is that there is an array of integers which essentially holds a 'count' for each of these symbols. I've tried searching I really have but find nothing concise. Everything at my disposal points to magnitude, which doesn't really apply. As far as I can see. The paper in question can be found at http://www.cs.umd.edu/~samir/498/karp.pdf

tompko    122
For sets |K| would be the size of the set K. i.e. the number of elements inside it. Having glanced over the paper this certainly seems to be the case here.

ToohrVyk    1596
In general, |x| is used to denote the size of x. So |x| for reals is the absolute value, |x| for complex numbers is the length, |x| for vectors is also the length (using whatever length function is assumed by default), and |x| for sets is the cardinal (that is, the number of elements, or an infinite cardinal set).