Sign in to follow this  
J-Fox

D3D9, Fixed Function Pipeline: Specular- and Normalmap

J-Fox    174
Hey, - Specularmap - Normalmap using the fixed function pipeline I was wondering if this is even possible, and if it is possible, if there are any good tutorials you could recommend or maybe some snippets. I tried looking for samples but I only found shaders for it. I already got normalmaps working to some degree, but the disadvantage was that I had to specify the "distortion" coordinates manually in 2D. I would have had to calculate it for every polygon in the world to make it look right. I didn't learn writing shaders yet because it seems too much for me and I had lots of problems with compatibility in the past, but if there is no other way, I will have to look at it again. Thanks in advance

MJP    19786
Honestly there's really not much point in continuing with fixed-function unless you're creating an application that's going to target integrated GPU's. Every discrete GPU that's come out for the last 5 or more years has been entirely shader-based, so it's the way forward if you want to continue with 3D graphics. It's definitely well worth your time to learn them, I assure you.

J-Fox    174
That is the actual problem: I m writing a project which runs on a school computer which has an integrated chipset ;)
I m not sure wether it supports shaders (and to what degree) so I thought going the fixed function pipeline route was the better idea.

--- topic can be closed? logical, next question ---

But yeh, I think I will have to learn shaders..
Is the introduction to shaders by Wolfgang Engel still up to date, or is there something else which is going to become the standard soon?