Starting with Direct3D Mobile

Started by
5 comments, last by XVincentX 15 years, 4 months ago
Hi All, I'm trying to figure out how to start to use Direct3D Mobile in order to develop applications for Windows CE Embedded SO which is running on my device. I've had a little esperience with DirectX for Win32, I can remember it was possible to find out the DirectX SDK and bring in the necessary libs in my own Visual C++ project. I've got a dive in a lot of docs so far and I've got anything but the place to download the SDK to start programming (unless there isn't SDK for Direct3D Mobile :S) Could you please provide me with the information where I can pick up all I need to start develop awesome 3D applications for my device? Your help is really appreciated. Best Regards - Francesco If you need more information about the device I'm working on please don't hesitate to ask.
Advertisement
First of all, note that unlike desktop development, Windows Mobile development can't be done in the Express versions of Visual Studio, so if you'll need to buy Visual Studio if you've been using the free version.

Then download the Windows Mobile 6 SDK. IIRC the SDK includes a Direct3D Mobile sample, which would be a good start.
Ok; got it.
Thanks a lot for your reply.
Regards.

- Francesco
Also, I can't advise you strongly enough to choose OpenGL|ES over Direct3Dm if you are planning to carry this skillset forward. Direct3Dm has no future, its not supported well, very little software uses it -- Its dying. Microsoft knows this, so it's future is not bright.

OpenGL|ES on the other hand, is very well supported across mobile and other devices, both in hardware and in software, its the current API of choice for mobile and embedded 3D development and its dominance is growing.

Now, if you want to study Direct3Dm specifically, or just want something to play around with and don't really expect to develop any marketable skills from, then by all means, go ahead. I'm just saying that you're not going to be putting Direct3Dm experience on any of your future resumes, because precisely no one will care. Less than no one would care, if that were possible.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Hi Ravyne,
I understood well the point.
I saw there are some interesting OpenGL-based libraries around (e.g. QT).
I'll keep your advice in mind.
Thanks & Regards

- Francesco

Hi all,
I don't know whether this is the best place to asking for, but I need someone to tell me where I can download what is following:
1) Windows Embedded CE 6.0 Emulator
2) GDI+ for Windows CE (I've read somewhere that GDI+ should be available also for Windows CE 6.0)

Thanks in advance
Best Regards
- fb
I'm interested too.
D3DMobileSDK it's not included in full Visual Studio 2008 installation? I hate download and install other things!

Thank you!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement