• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kylejones

Texture Mapping - Perspective Problems

This topic is 3666 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I'm trying to write a texture mapper and having some difficulties. First I'm going to give a description of what I've tried so far then get to some code. I started with a simple rasterizer with this kind of basic algorithm: 1. Find top vertex in polygon 2. Get next vertices on left & right side by going counter clockwise & clockwise 3. Calculate # of scan lines, dxdy, and prestep the current x values for the segments on each side 4. Starting at the top vertex, step through each scan line 5. Take the left and right interpolated positions, draw a line in between 6. Increment positions by dxdy for each side 7. When the scan lines for a side reach 0, calculate that side again 8. If no more scan lines for that side, return So then my next step was to do affine texture mapping. So I took the same code and when calculating each segment I also calculate dudy and dvdy and the current u and v values for each side. Then on each scan line I take the left and right values, divide by the width to get dudx and dvdx. When going across each pixel I then draw texel for u and v and increment by dudx and dvdx. That all works great, no problems there. Next I try perspective texture mapping. After reading a bit I understood I need to do the same for 1/z, u/z and v/z. Doing the same calculations as for u and v in the affine texture mapping, I calculate the delta-y and current values for the inverse of z on each side, then for the delta-x across the span line. At each pixel I use 1/(1/z) for my depth buffer. Seems to be working just fine. Then I ran into problems. I'm trying the same basic thing for the u/z and v/z as I have for 1/z, but I'm getting distorted textures. Looks pretty much the same as affine texture mapping. Texture mapped cubed The relevant code looks something like this:
/* snippet from left segment calc (right portion is identical except names) */
 var dy = pointBottom.y - pointTop.y;
 scanlinesl = ceiling(pointBottom.y) - ceiling(pointTop.y);
 var prestep = ceiling(pointTop.y) - pointTop.y;

dxdyl = (pointBottom.x - pointTop.x) / dy;
 xl = pointTop.x + prestep * dxdyl;

dzidyl = ([1] / pointBottom.z - [1] / pointTop.z) / dy;
 zil = [1] / pointTop.z + prestep * dzidyl;

duzidyl = (texturePointBottom.u / pointBottom.z - texturePointTop.u / pointTop.z) * dyi;
 uzil = texturePointTop.u / pointTop.z + prestep * duzidyl;

dvzidyl = (texturePointBottom.v / pointBottom.z - texturePointTop.v / pointTop.z) * dyi;
 vzil = texturePointTop.v / pointTop.z + prestep * dvzidyl;

/* snippet from main loop */
while (scanlines--) {
 var x = floor(xr); /* Drawing scan lines from right to left */
 var width = x - floor(xl);

var zi = zir;
 var uzi = uzir;
 var vzi = vzir;

var dzidx = (zir - zil) / width;
 var duzidx = (uzir - uzil) / width;
 var dvzidx = (vzir - vzil) / width;

while (width--) {
  var z = [1] / zi;
  var u = floor(uzi * z);
  var v = floor(vzi * z);

setPixel(x, y, z, u, v);

zi -= dzidx;
  uzi -= duzidx;
  vzi -= dvzidx;
 }

y++;
 xl += dxdyl;
 xr += dxdyr;
 zil += dzidyl;
 zir += dzidyr;
 uzil += duzidyl;
 uzir += duzidyr;
 vzil += dvzidyl;
 vzir += dvzidyr;
 scanlines--;
 scanlinesl--;
 scanlinesr--;
}
if (!scanlinesl) {
 nextSegmentLeft();
}
if (!scanlinesr) {
 nextSegmentRight();
}

I'm hoping that's enough to illustrate where I might be going wrong. Any ideas?

Advertisement
Looking at it closer, it looks as though the z value does have an effect on the texture, but in the opposite direction as I would want (texture shrunken when closer to camera). I think the z values must be wrong, so I have the logic mixed up somewhere along the way from object space to viewing coordinates.

This is a know problem, to solve it you have to use 'perspective correction'. All GPUs do it nowaday. Can't help you with an algorithm, but I think google will help you ;-)

Good luck.

--
Ashaman

Found my bug. Nothing was wrong with the texture interpolation, the z values were getting messed up in my projection transformation.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!