Game Engine Question

Started by
2 comments, last by andur 15 years, 4 months ago
Well, I am creating a game engine and i need to use Directx with the win32 api, but I am not sure how I would do this. For example, i have a level editor which uses win32 for the gui and directx for the actual level creation... How would I do this! Also, if you have any suggestions for the name of my game engine, please tell me.
Advertisement
You might want to take a look at dingus. It is a complete D3D based engine in C++.

My free book on Direct3D: "The Direct3D Graphics Pipeline"
My blog on programming, vintage computing, music, politics, etc.: Legalize Adulthood!

Quote:Original post by xXShadowAsasNXx
Also, if you have any suggestions for the name of my game engine, please tell me.

I think the name will be the least of your problems. Just pick a working title and stick with it until you have something that works.
Basically, all you have to do is pass in the HWND of the window/control that you want to render to to directx and that's it. Look at Tutorial1/2 in the sdk, it'll show you how to set up directx and a basic win32 message loop.

For multiple viewports/windows, you'll have to set up multiple swap chains.

All of the regular win32 buttons/menus/etc should all just work as they normally do in win32.

You can also, if you prefer, have a managed c++ or c# layer on top of your engine and use WinForms or WPF if you want.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement