• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
tandory

about D3DPOOL_DEFAULT texture

This topic is 3619 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have a question. When Direct3D device is lost, all textures created with D3DPOOL_DEFAULT are lost too? I want to keep those textures while program is running. (I'm using Direct3D 9.)

Advertisement
Yes, anything in the DEFAULT pool will be lost. You can either use the MANAGED pool or you can reset/reload your assets after a lost device has been reset.

Thanks for your reply.

I have textures used as render target and updated every frame. So, I have to create copies of them in system RAM and update every frame in order not to lose them. Is this right?

Yes, you'll have to use ::GetRenderTargetData() if you need to persist your render target contents. Alternatively you need only remember the state necessary to re-render the exact same image after the D3DPOOL_DEFAULT resource is lost...

hth
Jack

I'm planning to develop painting program using Direct3D 9 and use Direct3D texture as layer, but the program may be slow if I have to update frequently...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!