• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
The Mystic

Ideal language for 2D programming

This topic is 3610 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am interested in programming non-windowing two-dimensional software for Windows. I would like to learn from the outset the most appropriate software, so there is no need to move onto a different language and supporting programs as I gain experience. Ideally I would like to learn only Visual C++ and the Direct X SDK along with files generated by sound and image manipulation software. Is this the best way to go about it? I have only a basic knowledge of C++ and understand there may be a very steep learning curve. What would be good starting points?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by The Mystic
I would like to learn from the outset the most appropriate software, so there is no need to move onto a different language and supporting programs as I gain experience.
Bad move. Programmers who know only one set of technology are more or less useless, because they're unable to generalize their knowledge. For starting out, I'd recommend Python with PyGame.

Quote:
I would like to learn from the outset the most appropriate software,

The most appropriate software and tools is dictated by the current project, not potential future projects. What will allow you to accomplish your task the most efficiently? That is the route you should go.

What kind of 2D applications do you want to create (games, or tools, or ...)?

Also, what is most important to you (becoming a programmer, or creating things, or ...)?

Without such information, I'd say, take a look at Gamemaker, Flash and/or Python + Pygame.

My eventual aim is to produce a 2D game.

At the same time I would like to become a proficient programmer using proffesional non game creation software.

I have heard that the language of games is C++.

personally DirectX is too much work...im using SDL right now and love it

http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/lesson13/index.php

good tutorial

i have also heard XNA and C# is good but i havnt tried it yet (maybe later then i will post back)

Quote:
My eventual aim is to produce a 2D game.

At the same time I would like to become a proficient programmer using proffesional non game creation software.

Proficient programmer is somewhat of a broad term. And since you posted this in the beginners section of the forums, I assume you're just starting programming. And in that case, pretty much any language or platform would do. Of course, some are easier to start with than others.

Perhaps you could consider C#/VB.Net. It is widely used, within the games industry as well as in business applications and web development. But the same can be said for Java or to some extent Python.

Flash is also a good option, especially for 2D games.

Quote:
I have heard that the language of games is C++.

I've heard the language of love is French. Although still used heavily in some areas of the industry, C++ is in no way a language specifically suitable for games.

I would say flash is a good start; I've done lots of work with SDL, SFML, Allegro, and many other libraries but they all require a bit of work to get going. You also have to consider setting up a build environment for C/C++.

If you don't mind AS3 (it's not far of javascript and C now) you can do some pretty amazing stuff; All of the graphics, sound and networking stuff is already taken care of - you even have a graphical IDE to quickly put scenes together.

Once you're happy with fundamental concepts of 2D and have some prototypes you can start moving to something else.

I think FlashDevelop is free, but I just use regular Adobe Flash. Download the demo and try it out.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!