c++ programing ?

Started by
27 comments, last by Telastyn 15 years, 4 months ago
hi all was wondering where to start i wanna learn c++ as first programing language a know some HTML and css but that not what im looking for atm id like to make really small basic games n programs id like to know where to start lets just say i know very little about c++ where i start to get too 2d stuff from not much programing understanding some one here know? been looking but all i find is tutorials who explain half the stuf ore realy harder stuf :(
Advertisement
Quote: i wanna learn c++ as first programing language
It’s not recommended. It’s a much smarter idea to learn a higher lever language first, and C++ later on. Pick another language.

Quote:where i start to get too 2d stuff
On a long path. 2D is relatively complex for a complete beginner.

Quote: been looking but all i find is tutorials who explain half the stuf ore realy harder stuf
Because it’s impossible to find something that starts on an advanced topic and explains it in a concise way to a beginner. You need to work your way up.

Oh, and: clean up your English. Punctuate your sentences, capitalize properly, spell out words correctly. Don’t use text speak. Be coherent.
Quote:Original post by rookie666
hi all was wondering where to start i wanna learn c++ as first programing language a know some HTML and css but that not what im looking for atm id like to make really small basic games n programs id like to know where to start lets just say i know very little about c++ where i start to get too 2d stuff from not much programing understanding some one here know? been looking but all i find is tutorials who explain half the stuf ore realy harder stuf :(

Hello, glad to see another person taking on C++!

Making a 2D game in C++ to start can be done with SDL. Which can be found here on the site I listed below.

http://www.libsdl.org/

For SDL Tutorials go here:

http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php

For learning C++ I suggest this website.

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

For a C++ compiler you can either use Visual C++ Express or Dev C++

http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/

http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

Books I recommend are:

C++ Primer Plus 5th Edition
Accelerated C++ Practical Programming by Example

I hope this helps you!

Don't bother paying attention to people stating not to learn C++. Everyone learns at their own pace and learning C++ wont happen over night, but in a few years from now you will be glad you picked C++.

However if you're just looking for a hobby and not really wanting to spend a lot of time learning I suggest Python, C#, or JAVA.

Good Luck!
Quote:Original post by MrCpaw

Hello, glad to see another person taking on C++!

Making a 2D game in C++ to start can be done with SDL. Which can be found here on the site I listed below.

http://www.libsdl.org/

For SDL Tutorials go here:

http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php

For learning C++ I suggest this website.

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

For a C++ compiler you can either use Visual C++ Express or Dev C++

http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/

http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

Books I recommend are:

C++ Primer Plus 5th Edition
Accelerated C++ Practical Programming by Example

I hope this helps you!

Don't bother paying attention to people stating not to learn C++. Everyone learns at their own pace and learning C++ wont happen over night, but in a few years from now you will be glad you picked C++.

However if you're just looking for a hobby and not really wanting to spend a lot of time learning I suggest Python, C#, or JAVA.

Good Luck!

tanks
il take a look ty n i dont go school at the moment i don't work and don't sleep more then 4hours a day most the time. xD i run on tee -_- so i got a chitload of free time lmao

and oler1s sry this is as good as my English goes i suck in typing and in making understandable sentences whut language you say is best to start then? id love to hear it
Is there a reason you want to learn C++ as your first language? Because, while it's certainly possible, it's not the easiest language to start with and it's quite easy to learn things incorrectly. C++ has a lot of hidden pitfalls that you need to know about before you can use it effectively. It took me 3 years to find out that I lacked knowledge in some vital areas... 3 years that I could've spend more efficiently.

Yes, C++ is used a lot in the games industry, but that doesn't immediately mean it's a good language to start with. If you just want to create some games for now, you can start with something like Gamemaker, or, if you want something a little more programming-oriented, Flash. Or, for yet some more programming, Python + Pygame is a good choice.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Quote:Original post by Captain P
Is there a reason you want to learn C++ as your first language? Because, while it's certainly possible, it's not the easiest language to start with and it's quite easy to learn things incorrectly. C++ has a lot of hidden pitfalls that you need to know about before you can use it effectively. It took me 3 years to find out that I lacked knowledge in some vital areas... 3 years that I could've spend more efficiently.

Yes, C++ is used a lot in the games industry, but that doesn't immediately mean it's a good language to start with. If you just want to create some games for now, you can start with something like Gamemaker, or, if you want something a little more programming-oriented, Flash. Or, for yet some more programming, Python + Pygame is a good choice.

im not at all looking for ease im looking for alot chanlenge I REAALY DONO ANYMORE whp i listen the dude saying make it harder the one saying good choise ore the one saying make it easy -_- im confused now ARG
Quote:Original post by Captain P

im not at all looking for ease im looking for alot chanlenge I REAALY DONO ANYMORE whp i listen the dude saying make it harder the one saying good choise ore the one saying make it easy -_- im confused now ARG

I'm sorry, but unless you got a very specific reason to chose C++ then you shouldn't. It's quite a difficult laungage to comprehend even if you have all the dedication needed to go through with the tedious pitfalls. That said, there exists good learning resources for C++ and so it can be learned, but really - starting with something "easier" really isn't that bad of an idea.
And choosing C++ because you want a "challenge" is, mostly, indeed a valid argument. But, from your current programming knowledge, you'll most likely just suffer and in the end either a) quit programming b) stay as far away from C++ as you can (hence becoming a C++ hater).
Python and C# are my personal recommendations. All people have their preference.
You have to find yours.
First may i offer a bit of friendly advice. Spending a little bit of time on making sure your post has good spelling and decent grammer, will encourage a lot more people to reply to them.

One reason people are asking about C++ is that if you really want to get into game, in the sense that you want to start seeing things happening on screen and concentrate more on the game logic. Then C++ isn't the quickest way to do that. So what is it you really want to learn first. To learn how to program in general, or to get some games on the go.
and oler1s sry this is as good as my English goes i suck in typing and in making understandable sentences whut language you say is best to start then? id love to hear it
In that case, you might want to avoid programming altogether, especially in C++. The syntax of most programming languages is a great deal more complex than English syntax, and failure to respect any of its rules will result in compile-time or run-time failures. So, if you cannot start your sentences with a capital letter, write "I" instead of "i", or end your sentences with a valid punctuation mark, you will inevitably and invariably fail in all your programming attempts (unless you explicitly go for a visual programming language that doesn't require you to type).

Seriously, trying to program without the ability to type correctly is like trying to drive a car with no legs and a blind eye.
Quote:Original post by ToohrVyk
In that case, you might want to avoid programming altogether, especially in C++. The syntax of most programming languages is a great deal more complex than English syntax, and failure to respect any of its rules will result in compile-time or run-time failures. So, if you cannot start your sentences with a capital letter, write "I" instead of "i", or end your sentences with a valid punctuation mark, you will inevitably and invariably fail in all your programming attempts (unless you explicitly go for a visual programming language that doesn't require you to type).

Seriously, trying to program without the ability to type correctly is like trying to drive a car with no legs and a blind eye.

i feel so hated -_- the English you learn at french school sucks they don't chow shit all ! -_-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement