c++ programing ?

Started by
27 comments, last by Telastyn 15 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by ToohrVyk
The syntax of most programming languages is a great deal more complex than English syntax

Then why is it so easy to write a compiler for a programming language, but so hard to understand a sentence in a natural language? Is it just the semantics that are hard?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by DevFred
The syntax of most programming languages is a great deal more complex than English syntax

Then why is it so easy to write a compiler for a programming language, but so hard to understand a sentence in a natural language? Is it just the semantics that are hard?
What does "understand" mean? Humans understand sentences because they have access to a large database of concepts, and they map each sentence to a set of concepts from that database. Computers usually don't have a complete database (if they have one at all) because building one is far more difficult than designing a programming language.
Quote:Original post by rookie666
i feel so hated -_- the English you learn at french school sucks they don't chow shit all ! -_-
This is not really a matter of learning. It's a matter of discipline. For instance, you forgot to capitalize your "I" in the sentence above—that's all there is to learn: you must capitalize it, and you know that you must. Why do you forget? Think about ways of remembering it.

i feel so hated -_- the English you learn at french school sucks they don't chow shit all ! -_-
This is not really a matter of learning. It's a matter of discipline. For instance, you forgot to capitalize your "I" in the sentence above—that's all there is to learn: you must capitalize it, and you know that you must. Why do you forget? Think about ways of remembering it.

What the fuck -_- OK i am going to just help myself and read beginning C++ Game Programming by Michael Dawson for the basics. Those who have tried help tanks a lot and to those who where evil tanks anyways ( drop dead ) -_- all believe what you want all it takes is will and a little logic to do pretty much anything in life... except for some really deficient people... but that's something different

<< how old are the pplz on here? curious <<

p.s sorry for any misspells -_-

If english isn't your native language then filling in the "from" field in your profile means people will generally cut you some slack.
Despite the lack of respect from the OP I would like to add that C++ Game Programming by Michael Dawson is an excellent book. You will learn the fundamentals of C++ from this book if you take the time to study it and spend time practicing the concepts you learn from each chapter before moving on to the next. I understand where you are coming from with wanting to learn C++ first, mostly for the challenge, but you need to learn that the people here that have told you other wise have a few things going against you.

The first being that they are more experienced than you with programming, another being that they see these kinds of posts hundreds of times a month so they see some of these posters come back later and say that C++ was to hard etc etc. Also, some of them probably started off being thick headed and not willing to try any other languages. From this they have learned from a possible mistake that you are about to make. Although, I would like to add that you may understand the programming concepts perfectly and excel at C++ and if you do more power to you!

What I'm getting at is if you're planning on sticking around I've learned, me being a long time lurker, that it's best clean up your posts with proper grammar, spelling, and sentence structure then just show some respect from the people that are so kind enough to take time out of their day to try and HELP you. That is the reason you came here, correct?

- Austin
I think starting with C++ isn't such a bad idea if you are a person who really likes a challenge. The most thing is you will stick with what you started with and never give in easily. Actually I'm just doing it right now -- yes, I'm learning C++ as well.

But there's still one thing that I agree with most of the people here: you need to spell out your English correctly. Figuring out your English for some non-native English speakers like me is even harder than reading a line of C++ code.

:)
and oler1s sry this is as good as my English goes i suck in typing and in making understandable sentences whut language you say is best to start then? id love to hear it
In that case, you might want to avoid programming altogether, especially in C++. The syntax of most programming languages is a great deal more complex than English syntax, and failure to respect any of its rules will result in compile-time or run-time failures. So, if you cannot start your sentences with a capital letter, write "I" instead of "i", or end your sentences with a valid punctuation mark, you will inevitably and invariably fail in all your programming attempts (unless you explicitly go for a visual programming language that doesn't require you to type).

Ehm... If the complexity of the C++ syntax is indeed more complex than English then writing a NLP parser should be simpler than writing a C++ parser [grin].
Quote:Original post by RedDrake
Ehm... If the complexity of the C++ syntax is indeed more complex than English then writing a NLP parser should be simpler than writing a C++ parser [grin].
The English equivalent of the C++ language syntax is mostly a question of "String words together separated by whitespace and punctuation marks. End sentences with punctuation. Capitalize the first letter of a sentence. Place appropriate amounts of spaces around punctuation." This is easier than the complex syntax of C++.

Of course, this allows you to write nonsensical sentences like "Thousand if achieve conceive sublimated." but following only basic C++ syntax rules you could also write nonsensical code such as "int foo() { return foo -> bar; }" which can be parsed but does not respect semantic rules.
"Thousand if achieve conceive sublimated."

">"Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement