How can I erase NOISE in the bump mapped terrain.

Started by
2 comments, last by namwkim 15 years, 4 months ago
Look farther from the screen, we could easily notice noise making our eyes uncomfortable. (too much detail, although not necessary) Maybe we could alleviate bumpmapped effect if terrain is farther from the screen. Does anybody know how to resolve this? The following image is good example what I want to do... http://bp3.blogger.com/_M662VMUvojw/RoEhvNzQptI/AAAAAAAAAG8/BqXXhahZbFk/s1600-h/bumpedTerrain2.JPG
Advertisement
Hi,

to me it looks like there is no mip-mapping applied to your textures. I´d try that first.
Besides that applying a bump map effect on the entire scene seems like an overkill to me. Try to use it close to the viewer and disable it for the landscape-tiles that are further away.
If you are using shaders for the bumps you could also try to fade it out on the distance.

Hope that helped,

Ralph

[Edited by - Ekast on November 27, 2008 2:33:23 AM]
You eliminate noise by applying a filter. As Ekast says a MIP map (which is a cache of bi/tri-linear filtered textures) would help.

In the image you linked it looks like they turn the bump mapping off for stuff further away. Leaving it on might make the terrain look overly dark in the distance.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
I tried to use mipmap. it works!!

Thank you guys!!

Happy Thanksgiving

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement