• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Overburn

Should I learn DirectX 10?

This topic is 3615 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So, I want to learn DirectX. But I really have no idea wether I should learn DirectX 10 or just wait a year or so until 11 comes along... so what do you think? I mean, I have the feeling that dx10 is gonna be exactly like dx8 in terms of lifespan.

Advertisement
DX11 isn't going to be that different to DX10 and if you don't know directX at all then I would defintely recommend starting on DX10, by the time DX11 comes out proper you will probably want to throw away all your code and start again anyway knowing much more than you did when you started.

There difference between 9 and 10 is much more significant than 10-11 is going to be. At this point unless you don't have vista I wouldn't recommend learning dx9, not unless you're likely to get a job writing PC or X360 graphics engines in the next 3 years.

Quote:
Original post by Martin
DX11 isn't going to be that different to DX10 and if you don't know directX at all then I would defintely recommend starting on DX10, by the time DX11 comes out proper you will probably want to throw away all your code and start again anyway knowing much more than you did when you started.

There difference between 9 and 10 is much more significant than 10-11 is going to be. At this point unless you don't have vista I wouldn't recommend learning dx9, not unless you're likely to get a job writing PC or X360 graphics engines in the next 3 years.

I would recommend learning dx9 unless youre one of those guys that only need a quick look at MSDN to figure it all out.

Documentation (good books) on dx10 is quite scarce compared to what it is available to dx10

Quote:
Original post by EvilNando
I would recommend learning dx9 unless youre one of those guys that only need a quick look at MSDN to figure it all out.

Documentation (good books) on dx10 is quite scarce compared to what it is available to dx10

However, the D3D10 tutorials in the SDK are considerably better than the D3D9 ones, and in general when learning D3D9 there's a high chance you'll learn practices suitable for 7 year old hardware (i.e., the fixed function pipeline) instead of modern practices.

If you write a DX9 app and decide you want to go to DX10 in the future you may have to refactor quite a bit for good performance.

Quote:
Original post by Overburn
So, I want to learn DirectX. But I really have no idea wether I should learn DirectX 10 or just wait a year or so until 11 comes along... so what do you think?

I mean, I have the feeling that dx10 is gonna be exactly like dx8 in terms of lifespan.

[unsure]
Why not just learn DirectX10 now? I'm sure there won't be too many changes towards DirectX11.
If I look at Direct3D8 and Direct3D9, I only see small differences (atleast if you use the fixed function pipeline - which means no user defined shaders).
So it had a big lifespan - About 5 years I guess.
But with the HLSL shaders should stay in the current format for a bit of time so most of that won't need to be changed.
[/unsure]

Absolutely. The changes between DX10 and 11 are minimal in terms of having existing DX10 code work well in DX11. This of course is by design; Microsoft have themselves stated that DX11 is meant to build on top of DX10.

For further information, grab the November SDK which includes a technical preview of DX11.

Well, from what I understand, I'm going to be better off if i go for dx10.
btw. anyone know wether dx11 will require next gen graphics cards to run or it will run all the same on current dx10 graphics cards? because I don't really see anything in the feature lists that a dx10 card wouldn't be able to do..,

Quote:
btw. anyone know wether dx11 will require next gen graphics cards to run or it will run all the same on current dx10 graphics cards? because I don't really see anything in the feature lists that a dx10 card wouldn't be able to do..,

I guess that's down to the hardware vendors, I would have thought they could all do compute shaders but whether they can do the new shader model I don't know.

Quote:
Original post by Martin
Quote:

I guess that's down to the hardware vendors, I would have thought they could all do compute shaders but whether they can do the new shader model I don't know.
The D3D11 API will run on 10.0 hardware as far as I'm aware but you won't get access to all the D3D11 features.

All of the 10-level-9, WARP-10, 11-on-10, 11-on-9 and so on is exposed via the device type enumeration used when creating your device. It's essentially a more tightly controlled and more coarse version of caps [smile]

There was something, forget the details, whereby the vendors would have to implement new drivers to take advantage of the new concurrency features of D3D11 on older hardware. Until they do this it'll use some MS-provided emulation/generic implementation...

hth
Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!