Sci-Fi Time travel concept

Started by
21 comments, last by dskhury 15 years, 4 months ago
Hey everyone, for the past 2 months i´ve been trying to create a script for a Sci-Fi video game. This "time travel" key has been punched so many times in other games that the idea is pretty much dry at the moment for me. So far i have written 8 pages containing nothing but the worl´s background, trying to focus mainly on the reason for the concept of time travel to be necessary in that moment. Here´s a little skeleton sketch. 1) The world is not fictional, it´s based on the middle eastern war mainly, that was prolonged over a century from our current time, the main plot takes place in the 22nd century, arround the year 2140+. 2)The world has been consumed by the first Nuclear War, that took place about 20 years before. The war anhiquilated world´s resources and over 70% of the population, making most of the parts unable to sustain life. 3) Special installments were created in the living parts of the planet to be able to save most of the population and what is left of the society. Althogh those installments can´t afford space and resources for every survivor left in the world they still try to provide for the ones that are left out, those are living in citites that somehow survived the nuclear war, but they are over populated due to the fact that they opened their borders for the survivors, those cities are located mainly in some countries of europe, south america and what was left of north america. 4)The society before war was very advenced in technology, so post war time they had enough resources to biuld really huge research installments to study possibilities for the mankind to survive, all in vain since people kept dieing on a daily basis during years due to the effect of a nuclear war. 5)All of this leads a group of scientists in one specific installment to achieve the possibility to time travel to specific periods of time to try and avoid the nuclear war to acctually happen. Well, this is the main plot of the game, im trying to focus into making a TPS Coop game on this, something like Army of Two, but with some distinct features that i rather not talk about at the moment. The game in my head is very clear, altho i´m having a hard time creating a main character in the middle of this, and give him a reason to do this time travel job. I want to state that after war the world was still left with beatifull landscapes, but those are mirrored with the destruction left on other nations and the incapability of the society to sruvive the effects of a nuclear war, my idea is to mak very clear that if the time travel project dont work on that world, will be the end of humanity. I really like some opinions. Thx
Advertisement
One thing that i really hope to get a feedback on is what you guys think about a post nuclear world that is divided actualy, in one side a society left to dry, mainly survivors of the war living on overpopulated cities based on trading, where the monetary value of economy is completely extinct. And on the other side a society formed arround armies, scientists, diplomats and engineers, this society is mainly formed to estabilish those people that "make a diference" in the world, and that society live on what was left of the world, on beatufull plains, some even on the rain forrest maybe, places that are still seen as living in a post nuclear world.
I don't understand this sentence:

Quote:I want to state that after war the world was still left with beatifull landscapes, but those are mirrored with the destruction left on other nations and the incapability of the society to sruvive the effects of a nuclear war, my idea is to mak very clear that if the time travel project dont work on that world, will be the end of humanity.

Do you mean that the game starts with half of the world destroyed, and half of the world normal, but will also be destroyed if time travel project fails?
the idea is that the gameworld starts in a divided society on the way to the complete end, so if the time travel project fails the society will pretty much end, there wont be food eventually and so on, that pretty much the idea, sorry if i didnt formed the sentence correctly.
Quote:Original post by Wai
Do you mean that the game starts with half of the world destroyed, and half of the world normal, but will also be destroyed if time travel project fails?

I think he means mainly unpopulated areas "survived" - rainforests and so on (heh, and here we are trying to save the rainforests! After the apocalypse, that's all that's left!)

Seems like a pretty neat story. I assume part of the game will be played in the "present" and part in the "past" ("present" being the post-apocalyptic world, and "past" being the pre-apocalyptic world). That'd be interesting...
I think you should discard Europe and put Africa instead as an habitable place. Maybe also Australia and northern China.

The plot sounds good but quite controversial, like poors vs. rich, uneducated vs. educated. You can solve the dilema if you replace the leftover humans by zombies though.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Quote:Original post by owl
The plot sounds good but quite controversial, like poors vs. rich, uneducated vs. educated. You can solve the dilema if you replace the leftover humans by zombies though.

I don't think you should avoid controversial topics just because they're controversial. If that were the case, there'd be no Wolfenstein 3D, and where would we be today if that game hadn't been made? ;-)
You have a pretty big flaw in your story line... though you may have just mistyped your ideas in your post.

Quote:
1) The world is not fictional, it´s based on the middle eastern war mainly, that was prolonged over a century from our current time, the main plot takes place in the 22nd century, arround the year 2140+.

Quote:
4)The society before war was very advenced in technology

First you say that the war has lasted over 100 years but then you come back and say that before there was a war the human race was very advanced. This brings me to my question... is this society based on the current Middle Eastern conflict along with society as it is now?

If so, you are saying that "before the war" we were a far more advanced race than we are now... but "before the war" would of been before the current time if I'm reading that correctly.

Could you clarify for me?

- Austin
Quote:Original post by _Austin
You have a pretty big flaw in your story line... though you may have just mistyped your ideas in your post.

Quote:
1) The world is not fictional, it´s based on the middle eastern war mainly, that was prolonged over a century from our current time, the main plot takes place in the 22nd century, arround the year 2140+.

Quote:
4)The society before war was very advenced in technology

First you say that the war has lasted over 100 years but then you come back and say that before there was a war the human race was very advanced. This brings me to my question... is this society based on the current Middle Eastern conflict along with society as it is now?

If so, you are saying that "before the war" we were a far more advanced race than we are now... but "before the war" would of been before the current time if I'm reading that correctly.

Could you clarify for me?

- Austin

nono sorry, the war laste 5 years, from 2125 to 2130, and the main plot is about 2150 or so, so um until 2125 the world was very advance din technology. And yes, the war is arround the middle eastern war that was going on a century before that (today). I expressed myself wrong hehe. THe idea is... the middle east war that we have today is prolonged to 2125 when some events leads to a Nuclear War, until 2125 the society got very ahead in technology, then during and after the nuclear war the society ended up without resources to sustain life in the planet, appart for some regions that could still be seen as living areas of the planet. The years after war, that would be 2130-2150 the world got divided, and the "people that could make a diference" were stabilished on those living regions, while what was left of the society ended up on what was left of the planet, on places that were not so affected by the effects of a nuclear war.
I think the subject of the game is very interesting (tho I'm biased I have been working on the outline for a game that takes place in a post apocalyptic world with a friend for a couple of years lol)

There are a number of ways you could take the main character, he could have been a small child during the war and lost his parents/who family only to be taken in by some caring survivors and growing up with the ambition to try and do something to make sure something like this never happens.

You could also take the same set of circumstances of the child's life but have him raised by the new government with the direct intent to be a soldier. After proving himself a more then capable soldier he was selected to go back in time to try and prevent the war from escalating.

He could also just be an average guy or part of a resistance that hears about the technology and breaks into the lab to use the time travel device on his own or with the help of the resistance.

In a story like this there are as many different ways the main character could evolve as there are different snow flakes in a winter storm. But it will mostly depend on how much more you flesh out the game world.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement