• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TTK-Bandit

confused about vertex & weight..

This topic is 3612 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey I'm currently trying to understand skeletal animation, but parsing some different file formats, I found that vertex & weight are handled a little different everywhere.. for example, in idTech4(doom3) the md5 format: a vertex contains the texture coordinates + some weights a weight contains the jointid, an origin, and an influence in source(hl2) the SMD format: a vertex contains a jointid, an origin, a normal, the texture coordinates and some weights. a weight contains the jointid and an influence. so my questions are: 1. what is the difference between the two methods and whats the pro/con list? 2. is there even another method of handling vertex & weight? 3. Do modeling applications have support for both methods, or can one method be converted to the other without changing what gets drawn ?

Advertisement
Hi,

I have not studied these file formats but i think that:

1. it's just a different way to store data. In MD5 the bind-pose positions of vertices are stored in th weight block instead of the vertex block. You use the indices to match data

3. modeling applications convert their internal data to the destination file format when you save or export your animation.

ok thanks, any ideas how to convert the hl2 way to doom3 way ?
I would like to have an smd file importer, but don't see how those formats could be converted.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!