• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jor1980

Undestanding .iff file

This topic is 3673 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi i am trying to understand a kind of iff files.I read a document about amiga iff files specifications but i think that isn´t the same kind of files. I opened the files with an hex editor and i saw the files always begins with this bytes:94 EF 3B FF the next four bytes show an offset which begins with :0E 48 37 C3 in the begining of the file after the four bytes who shows this adress comes another 4 bytes which shows the length of the file.And if you go to the adress that i´ve indicated before after this bytes:0E 48 37 C3 comes another four bytes that i don´t know their meanind adn after this another four bytes that shows the length of the chunk,and if you go to the final of this chunk you see another chunck that starts with the same bytes:0E 48 37 C3. All this iff files ar made at least of two or more of this chunks. Anyone recognize this kind of iff file, if it is i would appreciate all the information you can provide me

Advertisement
IFF format is not standardized, so anything can be labeled IFF.

It also has no rigid structure. IFF is simply one or more chunks in the following format:
[TYPE][SIZE][PAYLOAD]

TYPE - determines format of PAYLOAD
SIZE - number of bytes in payload

As such, the complete reader reads 2 values (usually 32-bit, but variations exist). Then, if it knows how to handle that particular type of payload, it processes it, otherwise it skips SIZE bytes from current position.

PAYLOAD may be represented with chunks as well, resulting in nested processing as before.

But that's about as much as can be said. In your format, first 4 bytes in file could be file sentinel, or TYPE. But if TYPE does not spell out FORM or MROF (endianess isn't always respected), then it isn't amiga compatible IFF. Each of those is required to start with FORM chunk.

in my files the structure i think is like this:

[id] [4 bytes that i don´t know their meaning] [length of the file or chunk]

always big endian.

i need to identify the 3d models but i don´t know how to do it

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!