Arcade topdown racing - Barriers and such

Started by
1 comment, last by suliman 15 years, 4 months ago
Hi Im working on a topdown arcade racer game like supercars 2 http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dazeland/Super_Cars2-2.png I have driving up and running, and cars can hit other cars using circles and impulses to bounce of. This works fairly well, but how do i do barriers like walls and large objects? Do i need to create wall-objects that i check collision with or do i use some kind of colormap or something? Also, what would be the best way to make jumps (simplified like in supercars 2 if you know it.) Add "hight" somehow relative too speed to an objects position when it passes over a "jump"? Im not looking for a realistic physics model (unless its veery easy to implement) rather somthing to solve this arcade game. Thanks a lot Erik
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by suliman
Hi

Im working on a topdown arcade racer game like supercars 2
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dazeland/Super_Cars2-2.png

Good luck!
Quote:
I have driving up and running, and cars can hit other cars using circles and impulses to bounce of. This works fairly well, but how do i do barriers like walls and large objects? Do i need to create wall-objects that i check collision with or do i use some kind of colormap or something?

The first requirement is matching behaviour and appearance: a racing game in which walls and trees have passable slack or some small portions of obstacles are invisible, or in which apparently minor collisions cause unexpected effects, cannot be trusted and is less fun than it should be, unless you make finding and memorizing obstacle exploits an integral part of the game (like in Micro Machines).
Presumably you want a high quality collision response that takes into account the angle between the car and the obstacle surface in order to compute collision effects (if the contact is almost head-on the car crumples and stops, if it's grazing the car bounces without damage, for intermediate angles there is damage, slowdown, etc.); defining obstacle shapes is critically important.
Judging from your screenshot, you could use contours consisting of circular arcs and straight segments to get exact wall tangents everywhere.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

1. yes but what does "use contours" mean? Is such levels normally tilebased, do i check collision between the car and a list of "wall-objects" that make up the current map? Ie how do the car know it just hit a wall?

2. What is the best way to check collision between my cars (circles as far as physics are concern, this works ok for me) and larger objects, like rectangular buildings (preferably rotatable).

3. The last question was concerning jumps but that might be a later question. Then again this might be related to how i store my map (in regards to collision/restricting car movement)

There has been a lot of games like this, some of them veery old. There must be some somewhat easy implementation. Maybe they work with segments (like curve, straight road etc)

Thanks for your help
Erik

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement