• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
slowie

Compleatly new

This topic is 3671 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi there to everyone currently reading. im new to game development (as in only just wanting to learn it) and i have no idea where to start. ive currently learnt VB and im atm learning C# but i have read that they arnt really amazing for programming games and if im going to take it seriously ill need to learn c++. what exactly though do i need to learn and are there any references that people could send like other forum tutorials or books which arfe highly rated. p.s. ive also learnt how to use blender and maya to a certain degree and im going to continue to learn them for as long as i need to any help whatsoever would be greatly appriciated please respond soon Slowie

Advertisement
Actually, instead of C++, I would suggest starting out using a product like GameMaker. Don't misjudge it - from what I've seen, it can be quite effective. Better yet, you can, it seems, start out using the graphical editor exclusively (for simple games, at least), and then, as you begin to work on more complex projects, ease into the use of the scripting language that it provides, until you are using it extensively - which is, I believe, quite good.

You may be worried about the Game Maker scripting language (GML) not being a commonly-used game commercial game development language, but I think that you'll find that moving from it to another language shouldn't be too difficult once you are adept at the use of GML - it's the logic and techniques behind programming in general and the concerns of game programming specifically that take the most learning, I think, not the specifics of any one language.

The only caveat that I think much worth noting is that I believe that GameMaker's 3D support is slow... but then, I'd suggest that you start with 2D games anyway, since there's enough to learn about game creation in general without worrying about the additional concerns of 3D games.

Otherwise, you might want to look at Python and an engine that makes use of it - I haven't tried it, but I've seen PyGame suggested, I think.

All in all, good luck, and have fun!

ok i know where your coming from...my first language was C#...then i went on my programming exploration, learning everything from pascal to simula to OCaml...

but now im back on my main focus...game developement

generally (ive never delved that far into it) ive heard VB is a terrible language...C# i liked a lot and when you think your good with it check out XNA

if you want to go the harder way, use C++ with a library (i advise SDL or allegro, they are very simple) but beware of segfaults and the confusion that comes with C++...

Actually C# is now a pretty fantastic language to make games with, because it's relatively simple compared to C++, and with support from Microsoft and the XNA Framework you can get into making games pretty quick if you want to do it the nitty gritty way!

Or you could go the route that Thaumaturge suggested and start with a game maker and a simple scripting language. I've recently come across a pretty amazing game studio called 3D Game Studio they even have a language called Lite-C which can help you with the basics of C programming.

Either way it depends on what your goals are, do you just want to put some games together for some friends or do you want to learn how to program the games from scratch? Your decision is going to be based on your goals, but either option is a great way to get started.

Good luck!

- Austin

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!