• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
carlou86

General Question

This topic is 3614 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

All'right, i went a bit through the threads and i'm a bit confused. I'm majoring in computer science, first/second year now but i only know java and now that i'm feeling a bit robust in this language, I wanna know if its a good one to write 2D games. Most threads mention C/C++ and/or Python as priority languages to game implementation. I just finished programming "frogger" on java, and it looks fine. So my question is: is java good for games? if not, why?. Should i start learning C and C++ without going through C# since i have already a moderate level in java? Thank you.

Advertisement
Java is fine for 2D games. You can use pretty much any general purpose language for 2D games, if you have a decent library.

The kind of threads you are reading are (usually) for absolute beginners, people who don't already know a language. The general advice is that if you already know a language, stick with it. You will be more efficient.

Thanx you cleared things up for me.
However, isn't it better to know several languages instead of sticking to one language? i don't know. I'm not in a rush or anything, so should i really just stick to java, if i wanna become a pro game developer?
Thank you

Quote:

However, isn't it better to know several languages instead of sticking to one language?

Yes, you should learn many languages. Doing so will make you a better programmer. In particular, learn languages that use completely different paradigms. For example, learning at least one functional, logic, procedural and object oriented language will make you a better rounded programmer.

Quote:

I'm not in a rush...

That is a good attitude.

Decide what you want to focus on right now. If you want to learn new languages, doing so in the context of making games (if you are a beginner) may hamper your progress at both - though with dedication you will get there in the end.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!