General Question

Started by
4 comments, last by carlou86 15 years, 4 months ago
All'right, i went a bit through the threads and i'm a bit confused. I'm majoring in computer science, first/second year now but i only know java and now that i'm feeling a bit robust in this language, I wanna know if its a good one to write 2D games. Most threads mention C/C++ and/or Python as priority languages to game implementation. I just finished programming "frogger" on java, and it looks fine. So my question is: is java good for games? if not, why?. Should i start learning C and C++ without going through C# since i have already a moderate level in java? Thank you.
Advertisement
Java is fine for 2D games. You can use pretty much any general purpose language for 2D games, if you have a decent library.

The kind of threads you are reading are (usually) for absolute beginners, people who don't already know a language. The general advice is that if you already know a language, stick with it. You will be more efficient.
Thanx you cleared things up for me.
However, isn't it better to know several languages instead of sticking to one language? i don't know. I'm not in a rush or anything, so should i really just stick to java, if i wanna become a pro game developer?
Thank you
Java is also good to write 3D games not only 2D, so don't worry and have fun creating games in Java [smile]
Quote:
However, isn't it better to know several languages instead of sticking to one language?

Yes, you should learn many languages. Doing so will make you a better programmer. In particular, learn languages that use completely different paradigms. For example, learning at least one functional, logic, procedural and object oriented language will make you a better rounded programmer.

Quote:
I'm not in a rush...

That is a good attitude.

Decide what you want to focus on right now. If you want to learn new languages, doing so in the context of making games (if you are a beginner) may hamper your progress at both - though with dedication you will get there in the end.
Very helpful answers. I have a clearer idea now to which direction i have to take.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement