• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Prune

OpenGL Guides to good OpenGL 3.0 design?

This topic is 3612 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I can't find any guides or tutorials on good design of an OpenGL 3.0 based rendering system (free of things marked deprecated in the standard), something that would address things from good structuring in terms of software engineering point of view, and getting the best performance. I'm hoping either for pointers to any material related to this (and not the OpenGL standard, which I have read already), or miscellaneous comments on "the right way" to do things in this environment.

Advertisement
There are some examples of rendering systems like Irrlicht, Ogre, Cube, OpenSceneGraph, etc.
I'm sure they are getting the GL 3 uplift.
By now you have realized that GL 3 is basically GL 2.0 with a new way to create a context. It's no big deal. Just delete all the glBegin and glCallList stuff and your code to go in 5 minutes :)

I guess I want to be sure I'm using what people refer to as the "fast path". OSG does mention it uses that, but dissecting source code doesn't elucidate design principles as a text specifically intended for that purpose.

Mainly this is what I've gathered this far: drop anything associated with fixed-pipeline functionality, only use attribute arrays and not vertex/normal/texcoord arrays for VBOs, and don't use any driver-side computation like the transform matrix stuff. Few extra bells and whistles like a half float and texture formats etc.
(off-topic but related to this, what free tool(s) do you guys recommend for mesh optimization to improve vertex caching?)

I'm also interested in the direct state access extension and the implication that this is the future of OpenGL, but I haven't seen actual code or design suggestions.

If anyone else is looking at these things, please post your thoughts in this thread.

For mesh optimizing, you can search
mesh optimize cache
and you'll get a bunch of links like
http://tomsdxfaq.blogspot.com/2005_12_01_tomsdxfaq_archive.html

also the DX SDK has a tool called mesh viewer (mview.exe) that uses D3DX functions to do it.
nvidia also had some code to do mesh optimization.

direct state access is easy to use :
for example glTexParameteri turns into glTextureParameteriEXT and accepts a texture ID. All the bunch of other functions get a remake as well.
This extension comes from ID games and Blizzard so it is likely their next engine will use it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!