Language To Start With

Started by
5 comments, last by Cromulent 15 years, 4 months ago
I am just starting to program, I know PHP very well, but I would like to start programming some games (Computer). I don't want to do text based games, I would like to use graphics. So, I would like to get some questions answered if you don't mind. 1. What language would be best to start with? 2. What are some good tutorials to read for that language? 3. Extra information here.
Advertisement
1. The "best" language to start with is an objective question; many will tell you to steer clear of C++ due to its complexity and steep learning curve for even the basic of tasks (i.e. displaying a sprite). I'm new myself and found that the XNA API using C# is a great and easy way to start.

2. A few short minutes of Google-ing brought me to these two sites that have helped out quite a bit: einfall.blogspot.com | www.riemers.net

3. Pygame is another route with use of Python. Incase you do want to explore C++, one of the easier and more common APIs is SDL.

Last, check out GameDev's For Beginners reference for some ideas on getting started.

Quote:Original post by Mr Purple
I am just starting to program.... I don't want to do text based games, I would like to use graphics.

In Mozart's day, I imagine that all the aspiring young composers wanted to write sonatas and symphonies instead of operas, rather than boring old studies and variations on themes. Similarly with young musicians and what they would have liked to play. But only Mozart was Mozart. And as it turned out, Mozart wrote what is probably the most famous set of theme and variations there is. (Hint: the theme features in at least three children's songs.)

If you want to make a game, or even just be involved in making a game, there are many, many ways to go about that. But if you want to program a game, you will have to learn to program, which means you will have to begin at the beginning, and take steps from there.
If you already know how to program, I wrote a few short paragraphs a few days ago that link to some languages and frameworks you can use for game development.

If you don't and you're serious about learning to program, treat yourself to MIT's introduction to computer science. You can even watch the lectures. Notice that all of the course's materials are released online for free, including the textbook. It's hard, far harder than the many tutorials scattered about the internet claiming to teach programming. But it's honest. It gives you computer science for what it is and nothing less.

How to Design Programs is another textbook from MIT that follows a similar approach. It's perhaps more down-to-earth.

[Edited by - nilkn on November 30, 2008 11:59:39 AM]
Quote:Original post by Mr Purple
I am just starting to program, I know PHP very well, but I would like to start programming some games (Computer). I don't want to do text based games, I would like to use graphics. So, I would like to get some questions answered if you don't mind.

1. What language would be best to start with?
2. What are some good tutorials to read for that language?
3. Extra information here.

If you are gifted, then you might be able to learn a language by starting to program with graphics. However, you will be limited. Tutorials on 2D graphics will be too advanced, rendering the article useless.

You do not have to make textual games, but you will have to be capable of making them by the time you begin to learn 2D graphics and making 2D games.

As people have said before here and else where; Python and Pygame is a good combination, C++ and (SDL or Allegro), Java and its built in graphics library, and C# with XNA.
I'd recommend C++ with an easu to use engine. Of course the engine depends on lots of things, but it you want to start with a 2D Windows game, HGE's a good choice to start with; that route's one of the easiest way to learn C++, which you'll eventually need to learn anyways.
Java and Python would be good starting choices I think.

Both the official websites have good learning resources.

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/
http://docs.python.org/tutorial/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement